Official Review: Busted by Michele I. Khoury

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: Official Review: Busted by Michele I. Khoury

Post by britt13 »

I love crime mysteries and this one seems so highly recommended. I also think I would enjoy the bit of edge that this book seems to have.
CryptQueen
Currently Reading: Working Stiff
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cryptqueen.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by CryptQueen »

Ooh drugs and crime. Definitely not my genres. I'll pass on this one.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It seems like you and the book met your perfect match. A relatable, lesson-filled story is noteworthy indeed. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This crime fiction seems realistic to me after I read the review. The idea that the characters are trying to outsmart each other is intriguing to me and definitely pulled me like a magnet towards it.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

It sounds like a really great book. It's interesting enough for me and I feel like I can read this one.
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

Fascinating review! I really did enjoy reading your descriptive review of crime but very little punishment. My favorite character was poor Gina who got caught up in a nightmare to endure her dreams of a good life. But crazy things do happen at times, but at least she did see some results for that villain she called a lover. I think I am going to pass reading "Busted" even-though your review was encouraging enough to do so. It might be too illicit for me.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Thank you for your terrific review! While a passional crime thriller within the drug world with an artsy protagonist does not sound like the kind of book I would read, it seems that this one is very well built in terms of plot, characters, and action.
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

The storytelling technique of using the backgrounds of several characters is impressive as it is akin to spinning plates. The author must keep all of the plates spinning, in this case, keep all of the character’s stories strong without diluting them in favor of another character’s development. Additionally, this talent gives more depth to a story as is the case of Ms. Khoury’s attempt here. The action of the story keeps the story moving forward while sprinkling in the elements of drugs, crime, romance and other human attributes that make these characters relatable. The review and the sample make the story appear quite captivating for a “mystery” read, especially since the story progresses along quite quickly.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I think it takes a lot of skill to write a story like this, where you may be on the heroes side one moment and then on the villains side the next. I also love how the author did not show any bias when it came to the drug issues, because it is very easy for an author to only present one side of the argument. Thanks!
:character-ariel:
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I love a story that I can connect to and personally feel the emotions of the characters. I am a bit hesitant about the subject matter for personal reasons, but I am willing to give it a chance because it does sound from the review that it is a wonderful story.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

Thanks for the review. Your review has raised my interest in reading the book. Adding the book to my to be read list
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This sounds like a very interesting book. Though I like mystery a lot, it sounds like this does have a suspenseful vibe to it as well since it's kind of like a game of cat and mouse and strategy with the characters. Great and thorough review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Strong character development is something i look for in a novel. I like your comment that the good person is not always good and the bad character is sometimes good. Sounds like the characters in this book are real people. Thanks for your detailed review. I'm going to add this book to my To Read Bookshelf.
allaboutthelove
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by allaboutthelove »

I agree with this review and fully enjoyed the story and how this author managed to make the bad guy a real person by his compassion for his mother, cousin and even to some extent his younger sibling. She brought the characters to life and I was moved, angered, scared, saddened and heart-broken along with them. I couldn't put the book down, myself. The only thing that bothered me, excluding those mentioned in the review, was the seemingly immediate love between Tom and Gina. I feel it was too quick, as he initially dated her best friend but professed that he had been drawn to her from the start. Not a big thing, but worth mentioning.
As the review stated, the story is not a mystery. More like a crime drama, I would think. If you are looking for a great story that is wrapped in great layers this is the one. Storied this complex usually drop the follow through, but not here. I was rivetted. Absolutely 4 of 4 stars. I will be looking for more books by this author.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

This place is on a roll with the crime thrillers lately. I didn't think this would be one just from glancing at the cover, but I'm pleased to hear it ended up being so enjoyable. It even sounds like there's an element of a courtroom drama here, which is perfect for me! It's good that you can vouch for accuracy of many of the processes too. Thanks so much for your input!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”