Official Review: The Coal'd War by James Alan Thompson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Re: Official Review: The Coal'd War by James Alan Thompson

Post by Lg_99 »

Although I love spy thrillers and the plot looks promising, I do not think this is the book for me. The overall story does not seem to catch my attention, and the first pages of the sample were somewhat boring. The grammar mistakes and formatting errors are a turn-off, too. Regardless, thank you for the review.
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gracie777 »

I am not a fan of the cold war or spy novels. Though from your review, the part I would enjoy most is the double agent one, wanting to see how he pulls it off and does he succeed? Also the distinctive characters with many nationalities.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

This definitely doesn't sound like the sort of book that would interest me. I honestly felt a little bored just reading about it. I think the fact that you mention the beginning kind of dragging and the description of the strike being excessive turns me off from it even more. Thanks for writing a review, though!
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

I really enjoy spy stories. English vs Russian spy stories are always full of action, twists and turns. The Coal’d War: Fear, Desperation, Treachery and Salvation sounds pretty interesting despite the stodgy start. I think I'll enjoy it when I finally read it.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html

Post by Chitopogi »

Nice review of a thriller of a spy story. The book "The Coal'd War" by James Alan Thompson starts outto be a bit stodgy in the beginning but captivates you as you read along. Spy thrillers are my forte and I intend to purchase and read this book. :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

Reading on kindle gets tiresome real quick when the book has formatting issues. Thank you so much for that heads up. The plot does sound intriguing, but it's not a genre I enjoy much so I think I'll pass this novel for now.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes

Post by Surabhi Rani »

In the 'Official Review: The Coal'd War, by James Alan Thompson', the reviewer seems to be keenly interested in the subject matter (the economic aspect) of the book, and struggles hard to bring an Universal philosophy, out of the story!
AnMari
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anmari.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by AnMari »

I read the sample on kindle and have to agree with you on the formatting. It is very disruptive. As to the story, the parts I read where well written and intriguing. I am glad to hear that the rest of the book lives up to this. Unfortunately war stories aren't my thing and this would be the only reason why I wouldn't the book. Thank you for the great review.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I don't read many spy novel, if any, so I'm not sure if this one is for me. I was mildly interested after reading the synopsis on Amazon, but because of the issues you mentioned, combined with my non-interest in the genre, I probably won't read it. People who like this type of book will probably enjoy it, despite the formatting issues. Thanks for your insight!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I like spy stories and this one sounds interesting. But the slow pace with which the book starts may be a hindrance to my checking it out. And if the Kindle ebook is problematic, I'm sorry, but that does it. Would really have liked to check it out but it's just too bad about the errors. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Lynsaysamson31
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynsaysamson31.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Lynsaysamson31 »

Great review although I disagree on when you mentioned the story was slow to build. I'm only a few chapters in and so far lots of excitement and information has been thrown at me. I'm reading this on my kindle also and I did notice format problems too. So far this has a great plot and it's exciting, you can't beat a great spy story.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

A spy novel with unique and realistic characters. I'm intrigued by the high-octane actions. Thanks for the review.
mideworld48
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mideworld48 »

It is a spy, politics game that I think will play out well. I sincerely look forward to completing the reading on my kindle, even though it is very challenging because it slows down the pace of reading. It is definitely a good book for me and one I can boldly recommend to others for reading. Thanks for your honest review.
JLS
Currently Reading: The Foundation Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jls.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by JLS »

Your review perfectly balanced giving us enough to be interesting while not giving away the plot. While the format problems sound like a drag I definitely need to pick it up.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I like the premise of this story very much. Russia tries to make England a communist state makes it a spy + political thriller. Good review
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”