Official Review: 'Hiding' by Jenny Morton Potts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Official Review: 'Hiding' by Jenny Morton Potts

Post by starshipsaga »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "'Hiding'" by Jenny Morton Potts.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Two people, from two very different backgrounds and living on opposite sides of the Atlantic, are connected by mysterious past events in this exciting psychological thriller. Rebecca Brown, whom we first meet as a 4-year-old, is the youngest of three children orphaned when their parents were killed in a car crash. She and her brother Austen and sister Colette were raised by their grandparents, an eccentric old couple from the Scottish Highlands. Meanwhile, in the United States, a man named Keller Baye is having one of the worst days of his life. We follow him as he is picked up and transported to a highly secured facility, where eventually we find out he is attending the execution of his father, who was convicted for his involvement in a terrorist attack years ago that resulted in the deaths of dozens of people.

From the outset, there doesn’t appear to be anything linking our two main characters, who are separated by both distance and culture. Gradually though, alternating chapters between Keller and Rebecca’s perspectives reveal the full picture, bridging the gaps separating their two lives. The story isn’t told linearly either, so the puzzle pieces fall into place at different times, heightening the suspense as you wonder why Keller has suddenly decided to cut all ties with his life in America in order to hop onto a plane bound for Great Britain, where he has plans to track down Rebecca.

As it turns out, everything connecting the two of them can be traced back to this one terrible event in the past. When the details were unveiled, I was sent into a state of shock. The author had slowly, meticulously worked up to this moment of truth, so that when it finally arrived, I found myself deeply and irrevocably hooked.

Speaking of which, flashbacks don’t always work well in mysteries and thrillers, but in this book, they do. The story includes backstories for both main characters, helping readers better understand their personalities and motivations. We saw how a 4-year-old Rebecca’s precociousness and vivid imagination eventually led her to become a successful comedian, for example, or how Keller’s tumultuous childhood and experiences with his father ultimately impacted his views on family and intimate relationships.

That said, the plot did not truly begin to take off until the lives of our two protagonists collided. My heart was in my throat as Keller introduced himself to Rebecca, using a false name. At this point, I knew a lot more about Keller and his secret agenda, but Rebecca, still in the dark, began to fall hard for his charms. From that moment on, I feared for her character, and this atmosphere of suspense only increased as the narrative continued to explore the twisted and manipulative mind of Keller Baye. Tensions reached a boiling point in the climax, and from then on it was a full-throttle, action-packed thrill ride to the finish. I could hardly bring myself to put the book down after that, at least not until I was done with the final page.

The writing was also exquisite. I’m surprised that Jenny Morton Potts is not a bigger deal in the world of publishing, because with her talent and skill, she certainly deserves a lot more attention. I loved her elegant and sophisticated prose, as well as the deft way she adapted her style and language to reflect the characters’ origins, so that British terminology, accents, and slang would be used in Rebecca’s chapters while Keller’s would be filled with Americanisms. Little details like that made this book even more enjoyable and immersive, and I also didn’t come across any major errors in the text, leading me to believe that this novel was professionally edited and polished to a high standard.

All in all, I rate Hiding by Jenny Morton Potts an enthusiastic 4 out of 4 stars. I found this to be a highly addictive and entertaining novel, and I would heartily recommend it to anyone who enjoys character-driven psychological thrillers and mysteries.

'Hiding'
View: on Bookshelves

Like starshipsaga's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Jenny Morton Potts's novel seems to have all the necessary ingredients for a very good psychological thriller. You made me really curious to learn what brings Rebecca and Keller together. Besides, if the author was so thorough in terms of style and editing, this must be a novel worth checking out. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can understand why this started off slowly, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to hang on until it picked up. Still, psychological thrillers can be very intense, and I'm intrigued to see what it was that connected these two. I think I'll have to put it on my maybe list! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Yes, this one could definitely be likened to a boiling pot, with the story slowly cooking until it gets you all hot and troubled! I find that kind of psychological thriller to be especially effective for me :D I hope you guys get a chance to check it out!
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I have gotten into psychological thrillers a lot lately and this one really seems to be right up my alley! I will have to check it out.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like a good psychological thriller that would throw me out of my chair, and if this book is one of those I will sure grab one! Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Chaitalir
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chaitalir »

The story has a slow pace to it, as it introduces us to the surroundings and characters in the story. The story takes us to present time and then back in the past. When we are following Rebecca talking about her life and trying to find out what happen to her parents. Keller is the other we follow around. I don’t know what to think of him as I read the story he tells. The story keeps taken us deeper and the ending leaves us with a Wow! Wow what a story. Very, very good. The story was well written.

Thank you for sharing your book with us.
Got for an honest review.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Although I like mysteries, psychological thrillers can be a hit or miss for me. Your review has me very intrigued by the book. I will have to get a sample and see if it can draw me into the rest of the story.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

I love to read psychological thrillers, and mysteries. After reading your review, I just added this book to my read shelf. Thanks for your review.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks for nice review of this psychological thriller book in which author connects two people living far from each other with revelations from the circumstances that surrounds these two people with their past and present
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”