Featured Official Review: The Bone Curse by Carrie Rubin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Featured Official Review: The Bone Curse by Carrie Rubin

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bone Curse" by Carrie Rubin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Benjamin Oris is touring the catacombs of Paris with his friend Laurette when he finds himself inexplicably attracted to the centuries-old bones around him. Ignoring -- or unable to heed -- Laurette's pleas for them to turn around and leave, he touches a bone that somehow leaves him with a papule on his hand. He soon finds himself in over his head when he returns to Philadelphia and his medical internship. The mysterious papule isn't healing and his loved ones are dealing with what can only be called a curse. However, according to Laurette, Benjamin may be the one causing said curse.

The Bone Curse by Carrie Rubin pits a pragmatic medical student who looks for the logic in everything against the mysterious and inexplicable happenings of old, black magic. When people hear of Vodou (or voodoo) they usually think of Louisiana, but the novel takes place in Philadelphia, a completely fresh setting. Benjamin is strongly built character, sticking to his beliefs and not easily led astray despite the signs slapping him in the face.

I honestly had a great time with this novel. I enjoyed the way it sucked me into the world of Vodou and medical internships, Rubin's descriptive writing style allowed me to picture every single detail. I could hardly put the book down and sped through it in just a few days of reading to, from, and during work. Despite finishing it so quickly, I held off writing my review because I wasn't quite sure how to put into words how much I enjoyed the way Rubin tugged and tied the storyline together to make such a cohesive and enjoyable novel. I'm still not sure if my review will do it justice. However, I knew that I needed to give myself time to come down from the high of such an action-packed and fast-paced novel before starting another review. Even a well-written and fairly enjoyable novel would seem plain and dull compared to the memorable, heart-pounding world I had just come out of.

The Bone Curse was easily the best-edited book I've reviewed for Online Book Club so far. I couldn't find a sentence to tweak or make a suggestion on, much less an actual mistake. In fact, the only part of the novel that bothered me was that overall, the novel gave me slight anxiety after a while. It was so fast-paced and harrowing all the time. There was no time for the reader to calm down before the next big surprise, because even if the plot was calm, I found myself sympathizing with the ever-worsening physical and mental problems Benjamin was experiencing. I felt short of breath myself, and while that was slightly irritating when I finished my lunch break and had to get back to work, looking back it may have been part of what made the book so enjoyable for me.

I didn't have to think twice before giving Carrie Rubin's The Bone Curse 4 out of 4 stars. I love the world and characters she created. The Bone Curse is going to stick with me for a long time. Apparently it is the first in a series that is yet to be continued, but personally the plot wrapped up quite nicely and I definitely think that it could be a standalone work as well. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys supernatural or medical thrillers, as it's a perfect mix of both. However, there are some highly descriptive scenes, so readers who get queasy at the thought of blood should probably stay away. I'm highly impressed by Carrie Rubin and will definitely be keeping an eye on her to see what she releases next.

The Bone Curse
View: on Bookshelves

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

As you mentioned, black magic and medicine do not easily go hand in hand. From your review, the author seems to have done a great job in putting them together. Thank you!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Gerry_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Gerry_9 »

Seems quite entertaining
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Ooh! I was intrigued from the beginning, starting with the book cover. It looks so unique. I think it's one that I'll definitely have to pick up as I want to know where this curse comes from and if he gets rid of it! Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I read this also through NetGalley though, and I couldn't agree more with this review. I thought the author did a great job mixing the two and describing everything.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This sounds like an entertaining, fast-paced book. Though voodoo isn't necessarily a new idea for a book, mixing it with a medical thriller sounds exciting. I'm also a sucker for the Paris catacombs, I can pretty much get onboard with anything that mentions them. Great job on the review!
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

The review reminded me a bit of Robin Cook's medical thriller novels with I love. I'll have to pick this one up if I see it offered at OBC, as it sounds awesome.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

About to find out exactly why Laurette decided to accuse Benjamin of the said curse...Stimulating review!
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

If it truly has the best editing you've read on this site, that is high praise indeed! I would tend not to choose books that deal with curses and voodoo, but your description of its fast pace and interesting characters makes it much more appealing! Thank you for taking the time to think about it and give a thorough review!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Man! This hasn't even been published yet, but your review has me willing to pre-order it. I love books that you are sitting, anxiously awaiting a break from work so you can continue reading. This sounds like one of those and right down my alley. If only it was available on Audible :(, which is about the only way I have time to read books just for fun these days.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like a really interesting book. I'm always happy to read a review when the reviewer emphatically gives the book four stars :-)
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I can see that you have clearly enjoyed this. Actually, black magic used as a twist to a plot is very interesting. I will definitely read this one! After all, voodoo and black magic are for real and their effects too. Very fascinating!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I love books with the occult and black magic and curses, and I'm intrigued by the idea of this one having a medical tie-in. I also really want to know if Benjamin is doing things on purpose, albeit subconsciously, or if he's a victim in all of this. Great job on introducing me to a book I can't wait to lay hands on!
Helois
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helois.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Helois »

Wow, your review of The Bone Curse, makes me want to sit down and read it at once. I love books about the occult, magic and that mix it all in to a modern setting.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

This book sounds fantastic - I can't wait to get my hands on a copy! There is nothing like an author who can tie together old myths with a new story. Great review - thank you for the suggestion

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”