Official Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Official Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov

Post by Lg_99 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Broadcast" by Liam Fialkov.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are looking for a story filled with mystery and a great plot, then this is the book for you. The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov was a pleasant surprise. Since the book was published a couple of months ago, and there were not too many reviews available, I didn't know what to expect from this story. However, I am so glad I decided to give it a try; I was hooked from the very beginning until the last page. This psychological thriller has 460 pages of conspiracy theories, time travel, spiritual journeys, interesting characters, and so much more. Although the book may be far from perfect, I can confidently say that The Broadcast is a story that I won't easily forget.

The world, or at least the United States, is feeling both excited and restless. TXB, a well-known television network, has promised a show that no one has ever seen before; they will go back in time and show leaked footage of a notorious murder case, which took place over 25 years ago, that not even the smartest detectives were able to solve. How is this even possible? There was not a single evidence left behind, no cameras around the area, and no witnesses; this must be fake, right? However, what was deemed as mere entertainment turned out to be a shocking revelation that left the public wanting to know more. So, TXB kept "going back in time" while showing obscure films of the past to their audience; they showed events that occurred as far as a thousand years ago. The Broadcast, a simple name given to such a mysterious show, gained worldwide popularity. Fans and haters were expectant to see what "The Broadcast" would bring in each episode. Everyone was eager to know the technology behind the show, and most importantly, meet the mastermind sending the films. Is it true that they can travel back in time, or is this just a show based on deception? You have to read the book to find out.

The book has several points of view. However, the story mainly focuses on the daily life and struggles of four characters: Jonathan and Sarah, a married couple facing personal demons; Michael, a young college graduate who wants to unravel the secrets of his past; and Stewart McPherson, a righteous journalist who believes "The Broadcast" to be a hoax. At first glance, these characters, except Stewart, have nothing to do with The Broadcast; they just happen to be frequent viewers of the show. Nevertheless, the reader can see how their lives slowly start to, somehow, revolve around the enigmatic TV show. I liked how Mr. Fialkov managed to connect these stories, or sub-plots, to the main plot without rushing things. Also, I liked how the characters were portrayed; these characters, even the secondary ones, had dreams, goals, and stories that made them unique and relatable. I could see that the author really cared about his characters and did not put them in the story just because. They had a purpose, and they looked and felt real.

Another strong point of the story is the grammar; it was almost flawless. I did see some errors here and there, but it did not deter my overall enjoyment of the book. In fact, I only saw the grammatical mistakes because I was specifically looking for them. Also, the writing style is really simple and easy to follow along. Fialkov didn't use fancy words or phrases, which made it easier for me to understand what he meant to say. Since the story is about time traveling, there were some theories in the book that tried to explain how said event was even possible; they weren't lengthy nor complicated, and even I, a person with very little knowledge of science, was able to understand them. Another thing that I liked was that the author provided some background information before "showing" an event from the past. I found that really helpful, and it felt as if I were receiving a fun history lesson.

The only downside of the book is that the ending felt a little rushed. I was really looking forward to seeing a certain reunion between two characters, and when it finally came, that was it. The end. I expected some tears, drama, even a conversation between the two. However, there was none of it. Another turn off was the lack of dialogue between the characters. The author chose to tell things instead of showing them; there were a lot of "he said this" and "she did that" sentences, and there wasn't too much action going on. Some people may like this form of writing, but in my case, I prefer to figure things out on my own rather than being told what happened.

Due to the rushed ending and the lack of dialogue, I can only give this book 3 out of 4 stars. Overall, the story is really great and so are the characters. Also, the book does not have graphic nor violent scenes, so this story is suitable for younger audiences. I would totally recommend this book to anyone who is interested in mystery, character development, and history. I look forward to read more stories from this author.

The Broadcast
View: on Bookshelves

Like Lg_99's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The premise seem very intriguing. I see that you have enjoyed this book through out while you are reading but this book isn't for me. Thank you for the excessive details which enables to make a better decision.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

The likelihood of time traveling occurring have always peaked my interest. Your review tells me this book is a must read
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

What a fascinating premise! As a reader who majored in Communications with an emphasis in Media and Journalism, not to mention a viewer who LOVES true crime television, I'm very intrigued by the idea of a tv show showing "footage" of long-closed cold cases. I'm also curious how certain characters factor into the story. So, I guess I'll have to find the time to read this... Thanks for the introduction!
susansassower
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by susansassower »

I will read this book because you have described a different style of writing mystery. I will see if i like it
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

MsTri wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 17:18 What a fascinating premise!
Yes, that sounds really intriguing. If anything could persuade me to read the book, it would be that, but I have to confess to being a bit put off about the grammar. I mean, I don't mind books written in a dialect of some kind, or with deliberate errors from a certain kind of narrator, and the odd typo is also OK, but I think anything more than that would irritate. Anyway, thanks for the review - and I will seriously think about giving the book a go.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound quite interesting. Footage from a 25 year old case that no one was able to solve? Hmm... I wonder what discoveries are made! Thanks for the review; it sounds like a great book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 08:12 The premise seem very intriguing. I see that you have enjoyed this book through out while you are reading but this book isn't for me. Thank you for the excessive details which enables to make a better decision.
Thank you for the kind compliments. It's a shame that you didn't find the book appealing, but thanks for stopping by anyway.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A psychological thriller revolving around conspiracy theories, time travel, and spiritual journeys sounds intriguing. A television show featuring footage of unsolved crimes makes for an exciting read. Too bad about the rushed ending and lack of dialogue between the characters. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite those issues. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
harrymadede
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by harrymadede »

am excited to read this a thriller revolving around the broadcast about unsolved cases from the past the show is somehow connected to four characters this is so thrilling the biggest question is if the story is fake or real cant wait to see what happens
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I didn't expect a book with conspiracy theories and time travel to be focused on four characters' story and their development. It really is something that catches my attention. Thank you for the review!
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

Sounds interesting! I'm a true-crime and reality TV fan and the idea of being able to go back in time to capture "evidence" is compelling. I'll give it a try! Thanks for a terrific review!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Love the time travel element! Sounds like an intriguing mystery with some well-drawn characters. Shame about the sudden ending. Thanks for your excellent review!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting mystery thriller with an excellent captivating plot and one of the most inciteful onlinebookclub review that I have ever read. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

It sounds like there's a lot going on in this book but its not too hard for the reader to follow along. The TV show sounds so interesting that I really want to watch it! The characters sound real and I'm interested to see how they're all connected.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”