Official Review: What Happened To Flynn by Pat Muir

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Official Review: What Happened To Flynn by Pat Muir

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Happened To Flynn" by Pat Muir.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Detective Shanisha ‘Shane’ Notfarg, a fifty-one-year-old Afro-American, is assigned to look into the disappearance of a real estate agent, Arthur Flynn. According to his neighbors, he had gone on a fishing trip, and no one had heard from him since. He was a good man, had a decent job and an active social life. He didn’t have any reason to leave this good life behind. It means something had happened on the fishing trip. As Shane moves further into the investigation, she gets to know more about Flynn, but nothing provides a substantial lead. Soon, she finds his car, abandoned at a place far from his last known destination, and his blood in the trunk. Still, the question remains. What happened to Flynn? Shane becomes increasingly invested in his disappearance. The investigation takes her from solving a murder mystery to catching money launderers. Every time she gets close to cracking the puzzle, a new development points her towards an entirely different direction. When the answers are, finally, revealed, they are not what she had expected.

What Happened to Flynn by Pat Muir is exactly what the title suggests. Written from the perspective of Shane Notfarg, it takes us on a roller-coaster ride that lands us at an entirely unexpected climax. The writing is simple but not mundane. It makes the story easier to read. The investigation gives us a glimpse of the processes that take place in various departments, their hierarchy order, how these departments collaborate to solve cases, etc. The thought process of the police doesn’t seem Sherlockian, which makes the characters and the conditions more relatable.

The characters of the story are one of the best things about it. In the form of Shane, we get a strong, intelligent detective who is pretty clear about the way things are. Even though she is an idealist, she knows when it becomes impractical. Since we see other characters through her eyes, bias and subjectivity are highly probable. However, the author has portrayed Shane in such a way that we get a true account of everyone, regardless of what she thinks about them. For example, she might be jealous of someone, but she will not refrain from accepting the good qualities of that person.

The prejudice in her decision-making process also acts as a veil that keeps us on edge. We like Shane, and we trust her, but sometimes, we aren’t sure about her judgments. It is another thing that I liked about the story. Shane seems sure about her deductions. She holds her ground about the conclusions she pulls out from the facts that lie in front of her. However, a possibility remains that she might be wrong. The writer has managed to create a balanced conflict by telling who she thinks the perpetrator is, and the story moves forward probing the accuracy of her decisions. The question keeps repeating itself: is she right, or is she wrong? This approach of storytelling was very effective in creating the necessary tone for the case.

Apart from the main theme of finding Flynn, the book also tackles other relevant subjects, like racism and sexism. Even though Shane is equally (if not more) as talented as her colleagues, still, she has to, constantly, prove her worth. While it acts as a driving force for her, it also allows her to feel a great sense of pride in herself.

Amidst all the good things, there are a few aspects of the novel that make it faulty. In the beginning, the writing, and the story are a bit slack. Though it isn't bad, it isn't exciting enough, either. You feel impassive towards all the developments. Later, when the plot has evolved a bit, some thrill is induced in the story. After a quarter, it picks the pace and everything moves quickly. Also, somewhere in between, we begin to believe that the case has wavered from its main purpose, i.e., finding Flynn. The central issue seems lost in all the mess, but perhaps, this is what makes the story more realistic. There is a line I remember from another book. “You never know where a case will take you.” Thus, the route taken by the investigation might seem bizarre, but it is what lends more authenticity to the story.

My rating for What Happened to Flynn is 3 out of 4 stars. It was a good read. A lower rating would be unfair to this intelligently drawn-out story. Irregular fonts and a few grammatical mistakes lead me to deduct a point from it. People who like reading books of crime and mystery genre will like it. It is different from its counterparts. The book has been aptly named as the main question, about Flynn’s fate, lingers throughout the story. The author has neatly tied up every loose end and has brought the story to an effective conclusion. Stay vigilant for signs, if you don’t want to feel left out.

What Happened To Flynn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReviewerDiksha's review? Post a comment saying so!
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I really enjoyed reading your review. I will most definitely be reading this book myself very soon. Your description of the characters sparked my interest to get a copy to read! Thanks for your review.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I generally don't enjoy "detective" type stories but I always enjoy reading the reviews. I suppose I don't have the patience to wait out the suspense myself :?

So glad you did though, loved your review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that this one starts off slowly. It sounds like an interesting mystery. I think I'll take a pass on this one for now. I appreciate your review, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Great review! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will admit it has piqued my interest in this book. This is not my usual genre but I'm really excited to read this one. Despite the shortcomings you mentioned, I'm going to check this one out. Thanks for your review!
priyaraju
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by priyaraju »

You wrote a great review! The book cover seemed interesting so I figured that the book would be cool and man, your review blew it out of the water for me. I definitely want to read this book because it seems so intriguing! Great review and thank you so much for letting us know :)
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Suspense is a tad bit provocative but still gives the most excitement. Lovely review!
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

I like reading crime thrillers. You make it sound quite interesting. Thank you for the review.
ShivaniS
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ShivaniS »

Slow start offs me about this book. I like the fast pace right from the beginning, because it builds interest. I did enjoy your review. Thank you
NeerajS

Post by NeerajS »

I think I can look beyond the grammatical errors and give it a try. The whole idea sounds very interesting to me. Thank you for the review.
PratibhaG

Post by PratibhaG »

I do enjoy an ocassional crime thriller. But the slow pace, I don't think I can survive through that. Maybe it's not bad, because you seem to have enjoyed it. Not my cup of tea, though. Thank you for the review.
RKS

Post by RKS »

Sounds very interesting. I like the fact that the writer has embedded the social issues in the book. The characters are strong and the plot is appealing. I will surely check this one out.
Brenda kimathi
Currently Reading: Because it is my Blood (Birthright #2)
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Brenda kimathi »

The review was amazing, I wanna read this one,to the end.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A mystery that keeps one on edge sounds intriguing. A missing person case together with social issues is a winning combination. I like mysteries that give step by step detective work. It can be tedious if it isn't done right, though. Too bad about the slow pace at the beginning of the tale. At least the pace picks up as the story unfolds. This book caught my fancy, so I will give it a try. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
shraddharm
Favorite Book: Beyond embarrasment
Currently Reading: The Disembodied
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddharm.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by shraddharm »

This was a really great story with an intriguing plot. I liked it.
-R

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”