Official Review: What Happened To Flynn by Pat Muir

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
FayJac
Currently Reading: Begin Again
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fayjac.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Re: Official Review: What Happened To Flynn by Pat Muir

Post by FayJac »

This sounds like a good book to read. I like the idea that there are twists and turns in the book and that you are constantly wondering if Shane's deductions are right.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I nearly spit my coke out this morning when i saw the title because i know someone name Flynn and laughed for like a good minute or two. Full snort-laughs. I love mystery though, so i can't wait to check out this book. It looks like a great read.
reader44ever
Currently Reading: Locke & Key
Bookshelf Size: 1052
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader44ever.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by reader44ever »

Thank you so much for your review!

After reading the sample, which starts out with Shane telling us that it is going to take her seven YEARS to resolve the case of what happened to Flynn, and then reading your review, I have decided that this book is not for me.

You mention that in the middle of the story, it felt "wavered from its main purpose," and then later you describe it as being "intelligently drawn-out." While I can see how this story might prove exciting, I am not interested in sticking with Shane for seven years for the course of one book.

But I am glad you enjoyed it enough to give it three stars!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Well Now…??? Hmm…What happened to Flynn is the million question as I'm intrigued, thus far via an CA sista whose on the case! I agree with most of the comments and this review, in which I can often do without spoiler alerts. But, however, I certainly look toward reading beyond the mystified samples at a later date as I foresee a rating of 4/4 stars in spite of one grammatical error I've noted at present. Congrats to the author on the #BOTD 🧐
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

ReviewerDiksha wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 12:06 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Happened To Flynn" by Pat Muir.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Amidst all the good things, there are a few aspects of the novel that make it faulty. In the beginning, the writing, and the story are a bit slack. Though it isn't bad, it isn't exciting enough, either. You feel impassive towards all the developments. Later, when the plot has evolved a bit, some thrill is induced in the story. After a quarter, it picks the pace and everything moves quickly. Also, somewhere in between, we begin to believe that the case has wavered from its main purpose, i.e., finding Flynn. The central issue seems lost in all the mess, but perhaps, this is what makes the story more realistic.
I love a good murder mystery but the first couple of chapters were so boring. If an author can't grab my attention quickly, I don't expect much from the rest of the book. I felt like the facts mine as well have been bullet points. There was nothing to make the facts interesting. I felt like I was reading the police report. I'll have to pass.
Essentially_Literate
Favorite Book: Beastly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essentially-literate.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Essentially_Literate »

I might actually enjoy reading this mystery crime novel. It has been awhile since I've read one. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review and I loved what you said regarding characters. Besides the plot, characters are one of the most important aspects to a book in my opinion.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I enjoy detective stories where the detective is a woman. Thanks for such a great review! I do not know about the slow start to the book. I like a lot of action in my crime novels. But it is good that it picks up towards the middle of the book. The mystery of what happened to Flynn compels me to add this book to my reading list.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Thanks for a fair and thorough review! I feel as if I have all the information I need to choose whether or not to read this one. (I may - I love mysteries).
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

A good crime, mystery story never goes out of style. From the review, I'm already aching to get to the storyline. For it to be narrated in an engaging manner is a plus for me.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

This sounds like a great read! I did notice some of the errors in the sample, but hopefully they are not too distracting throughout the story. Thanks for the review!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

The murder mystery book will take the readers on a roller-coaster ride that lands at an entirely unexpected climax but starts at a slow pace. I'm not sure yet if I will read the whole book. Thanks for the detailed review.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

I really like crime and mystery fiction and this is sounds exactly like something I would read. Shane sounds like a great main character and I like how the case sounds realistic in its portrayal. Great review
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This sounds like a fun "whodunnit" that takes the traditional storyline one step further and had its characters fighting traditional stereotypes at the same time. I may have to check this one out.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I'm so excited that today's BOTD is free to readers! This is my favorite genre, and I cannot wait to start reading. The realistic characters and suspenseful plot, will keep me turning pages. But throw in sexism and racism, I'll be turning pages late into the night! What happened to Flynn? I dying to find out...

Thank you for your review. It was amazing! :-)
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Sounds like an interesting murder mystery. It is nice to see, for a change, that the investigator is someone other than a middle aged, white male. Thanks for the review and also to the author for the book. I look forward to reading it and finding out just what did happen to Flynn.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”