Official Review: Monsters in the hallway by Capt. Jim Kosmo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Re: Official Review: Monsters in the hallway by Capt. Jim Kosmo

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Based on the review I don't think that this is a book that I would enjoy reading. I don't like reading crime/murder mysteries novels. I also don't like reading about bullying, abuse, sexual assault, etc. So I am going to pass on reading this book.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

On the surface, Monsters in the Hall by Capt. Jim Kosmo is about the horrible murder of a boy scout that enmeshed already two damaged families in 1959. It turns out to be so much more than that. Prime suspect is Peder Korsen - a man who escaped from an insane asylum and who 10 years earlier almost killed his family when he burned the family home down. Now the prime suspect's son, Jason, a teenager in high school, will try to prove that his Dad is innocent in the molestation and killing of Roy Pettit, who happens to be Jason's friend. A cop about to retire, Detective Joe Stroud, is so shocked by the case, he has to set aside retirement for now and help solve the case. He has doubts that Korsen did it.

I say that the book is so much more because of its gripping depiction of the underside to 1950s America as seen in the shocking decline of two middle-class families because of insanity, crime, shame and poverty. The family of the victim Roy also has had a horrible time, with Roy's father being a convicted killer and Roy's brother becoming a grifter and a conman who does not hesitate to use his body for money. There are two narrative streams here, the unveiling of the killer and the fate of the two families - Korsens and the Pettits - who were dragged in the crime. Capt. Jim Kosmo competently merges a murder thriller with the tale of how the 1950s American dream can shatter into pieces. This is a very entertaining whodunit and an interesting period drama. For those interested in the book, read Kelebogile Mbangi's review that states the element of suspense is maintained until the very end of the book. Of the book's 4-star rating, the reviewer says: "It has a gripping storyline, amazing characters, and a well-developed background. I recommend it to those who enjoy crime novels."
Ianica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianica.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ianica »

Wow, nice touch on the review. It seems like the main issue here was a concentration on mental health and its treatment.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

The review is well written but unfortunately I'm not a fan of books with such vices. I have an experience on that and I'm always reminded of this bitter experience. Thanks for your review.
Gee-Ruth
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-ruth.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by Gee-Ruth »

Your review is very insightful, and as a big fan of crime novels i will definitely grab this one.
Thank you!
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Great job on the review! I won't lie I am definitely intrigued. It's always good when the author personally relates to the story they are writing. Who doesnt like a murder mystery. I live the suspense of it, and trying to figure out who the murderer is keep me interacting with the story. I think I may give this one a try.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I love a good crime thriller novel! This book seems like an exceptional read. It looks like it has very vivid descriptions. I'm glad that the character development is strong in this book. That's always a very important element to me. I'm also glad that the element of suspense stayed consistent. Thank you for your insightful review!
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Mystery, murder, mental illness. All in one book. The life of Jason is quite intriguing. I'd love to explore more of it. Congrats on BOTD.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

A book that deals with the evils or "monsters" that we face, like bad people, bullying, abuse, and sexual assault. It has a gripping storyline, amazing characters, and a well-developed background. I will be immersing myself into this book very soon.
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

It sure is an intriguing review. It surely makes me want to read the book. I know I will enjoy it, thank you.
Configure99
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Configure99 »

Honestly the book is heart ♥ catching because I'm curious to know who the prime suspect his
Thanks 🙏 it was lastly revealed. Thanks for the free copy
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

This is a good review. Thank you for the plot in a nutshell! I cannot wait to get my hands on this one. It's a fascinating subject, and I am looking to add more to my TBR list. Thank you
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I don't see anything that'll make me skip a crime novel with a gripping storyline, amazing characters, and a well-developed background. I hope to read it soon. Thanks for the review.
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Zhariah »

Thank you for the awesome review!
The book itself sounds interesting, but your review and 4/4 rating has definitely propelled this to the top of my 'to read' pile :D
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sampled the book on Amazon. This is a crime fiction with an interesting and emotional beginning. A young guy Jason is informed that his father is involved in the murder of a young boy scout. The story takes into account various aspects related to a society. This would appeal to an audience interested in suspense and crime story as mentioned in the review by Kelebogile Mbangi.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”