Official Review: Invisible Influence by Larry R. Moran

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Invisible Influence by Larry R. Moran

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Invisible Influence" by Larry R. Moran.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A blackmailer arranges events that cause a worldwide recession. Eventually, one of the people he blackmails realizes the harm he has caused and tries to find the man responsible. This is the premise of the thriller Invisible Influence by Larry R. Moran. The novel is written in the first person, from the point of view of Spencer, a department head at the Census Bureau.

Spencer became the head of the industry section at the Census Bureau, after his former boss died in an apparent accident. As part of his job, he is sent to Paris to attend a conference. On the first day he meets a beautiful woman, they get talking and decide to get to know one another better, rather than attend the conference. After a week of fun times, Spencer has to return to the States and his job.

Shortly after, Spencer is blackmailed into providing the blackmailer information. At first, the information is freely available, and as Spencer is not breaking the law, he readily agrees. Slowly, the blackmailer’s demands become illegal, and Spencer, after originally saying yes, finds it impossible to say no. When the United States goes first into a recession and then into a depression, Spencer realizes that he is responsible for ruining millions of lives.

Spencer decides that the blackmailer has to pay for what he made Spencer do. With very little information to go on, Spencer starts trying to track down the man responsible. His only real clue is the woman that entrapped him in Paris. Spencer travels to Paris and tries to locate her. This leads Spencer into an investigation into an international conspiracy with far reaching consequences.

Larry includes loads of detail in his story; I personally found there was too much detail. It slowed down the flow of the story and wasn’t really needed. It brings to mind the quote “less is more” from “Castle that I think the author needs to follow, as I found the story was too slow. I had trouble keeping going at times. The pace only really picked up right at the end.

The plot for this story is fairly straightforward with almost no twists to it. The characters are well developed and act consistently throughout the story. The best part about Larry’s attention to detail is you always know exactly what the characters and locations look like.

Whilst I was reading this novel, I noticed many grammar mistakes. Most of these are either incorrect tenses or missing words. I found this to be a little confusing in places, and I had to work out what I was supposed to be reading. Add to this a fairly pedestrian plot and I feel I have to give this book a rating of only 2 out of 4 stars. I think this would appeal to anybody who doesn’t want to much depth in their stories. Anybody who is looking for lots of action should give this a miss.

Invisible Influence
View: on Bookshelves

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

It's always too bad to read about mistakes. Probably not for me, but you're right-maybe action lovers!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad there wasn't more depth; it starts off sounding interesting. The shift in tenses would drive me nuts as well. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

Whilst I was reading this novel, I noticed many grammar mistakes. Most of these are either incorrect tenses or missing words. I found this to be a little confusing in places, and I had to work out what I was supposed to be reading.
Grammatical errors are unfortunate especially when they distract from the story. Your note on a fairly predictable plot combined with the grammatical errors are enough of a turn off for me. I'll pass on this one.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Too bad the blackmailer made Spencer look like the bad guy upfront for his own selfish reasons. Will look into this. Thanks for the review!
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

The flow of the story matters highly in books like these. Glad that you brought this up.

Thanks for the review.
Bishops
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Bishops »

haven't read it yet. but i would check it out.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”