Official Review: 'A Journey in Time' by Peter Baines

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: 'A Journey in Time' by Peter Baines

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "'A Journey in Time'" by Peter Baines.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I find the premise of A Journey In Time by Peter Baines quite fascinating. Time travel has long been a holy grail of sorts for scientists. However, the ethical and moral ramifications of having the ability to go through time are quite intense. What would happen if.... ? Is it possible to change history, to avert mass disasters? The author effectively presents these quandaries and more with a compelling plot.

A group of scientists out in San Diego have been working on a top secret project, funded by the federal government for years. Approximately five years ago, they hit an insurmountable wall which hindered the project's completion. However, instead of throwing in the towel, they continued on in what was essentially a farce. Unfortunately for the group of scientists who have been living the high life at the expense of taxpayers, it is discovered that the director of the oversight committee has been embezzling funds. Bo Olsen is called in to fix the mess. Meanwhile, tragedy strikes on an international level. While reviewing the many projects that had been the responsibility of the now defunct oversight committee, Bo discovers one project that fascinates him. What if that project really could be completed?! This might just be the answer the nation is looking for.

What follows is a story of international intrigue. Agents, counter agents, scientists, the United States Vice President, the British Prime Minister, and M16, the British spy agency, all have their own agendas and will stop at nothing to ensure success. Who are the "good guys" and "bad guys"? What you learn in one chapter may be upended in the next.

I loved the plot and the characters. Character development was overall not as deep as I like; however, due to this being more of an action/spy novel and the fact that there were too many characters to count, I easily forgive the author. I consider the pace to be on the level of a high action movie. It was difficult for me to put the book down. I feel that this book would be acceptable to anyone who enjoys action, drama, conspiracy theories, spy books, and even a bit of science fiction.

Even though there is much good to say about A Journey In Time, I have several issues with the book. First, the book was not thoroughly edited. Commas are seemingly placed helter skelter with little regard to grammatical accuracy, and dashes are used indiscriminately throughout. My second complaint is an issue with the prologue and first chapter. The prologue presents one snippet of a story, as a good prologue often does. However, although the situation presented in the prologue could relate to the setup of book's plot, the main character is never again referenced throughout. Additionally, chapter one of the book, while fascinating, also had nothing to do with the rest of the book so far as I could tell. I also found that the transitions were rough. Several times, I had to slow down and re-read in order to discover whose perspective was being presented. My last complaint involves the ending. Near the end, it felt as though the author was rushing to the ending. Not only did I have to read various sections many times to understand what was going on, but the actual ending left too many loose ties, rather than merely setting up a sequel. Due to these issues I will have to give this 2 out of 4 stars.

'A Journey in Time'
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I find myself wondering why the prologue and first chapter were in there if not to help the story. I have read endings where books just seem to suddenly stop. It's very frustrating. I don't think I'll read it because of that, but I appreciate your review. Good as always!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 15:25 Interesting. I find myself wondering why the prologue and first chapter were in there if not to help the story. I have read endings where books just seem to suddenly stop. It's very frustrating. I don't think I'll read it because of that, but I appreciate your review. Good as always!
Thanks for your kind comments! :oops: After some convo with the author, I learned why the first chapter was in there, but I still feel it's a bit obscure. I did find the overall concept and plot to be brilliant, just needs a good bit of clean-up!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review. How odd that the first chapter had nothing to do with the rest of the book. I also get frustrated when the transitions between scenes and perspections are awkward. I am glad you were able to enjoy the plot and characters despite the errors and other flaws.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Sounds like a book that would give one an adrenaline rush especially with the thought of time travel possibility! Definitely gotta read this book after seeing your review. Thanks! :D
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Seems to be a high profile book about spying and national security (in this case international security). The book seem good. It's always the errors that deduce the quality of the book. That's truly sad. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

It's a shame this book had so many issues, because the plot sounds great! Thanks for the review!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Another book involving a top secret government project! Seems like this book's plot was a bit thin from the start. Thanks for reading and reviewing it, so I don't have to!
greenstripedgiraffe

ViziVoir wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 13:30 Another book involving a top secret government project! Seems like this book's plot was a bit thin from the start. Thanks for reading and reviewing it, so I don't have to!
The plot was actually quite good! the thin parts were other aspects.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

RebeccasReading wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 11:24 It's a shame this book had so many issues, because the plot sounds great! Thanks for the review!
Yes, it sounded like a great idea to begin with - but, given all the issues you describe, I don't think this is one that I'll be following up. Thank you, though, for a very thorough review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”