Official Review: Gaelan's War by Thaddeus McGrath

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Official Review: Gaelan's War by Thaddeus McGrath

Post by inaramid »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gaelan's War" by Thaddeus McGrath.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The theme of metamorphosis in fiction has always drawn the imagination of readers. In Thaddeus McGrath’s Gaelan’s War, metamorphosis takes on a physical, psychological, and supernatural import, as we follow the tale of one man’s personal “war” against forces beyond and within himself.

The struggle for control is at the core of Gaelan Kelly’s life. Bullied at a young age, Gaelan learns to fight from his father, an ex-Marine, who also drills into Gaelan the maxim that will forever be his guide: “Don’t lose control. You take control.” Of course, it’s all easier said than done. Gaelan’s recruitment in the Marines takes him to the Middle East, where he experiences his first real war and suffers the first of many horrible losses. Amidst enemy fire, with friends and allies dying all around him, Gaelan snaps and loses control. The destruction he wrought during this instance of blind rage continues to haunt him even as he returns home.

But home isn’t the safe and happy place it once was. Gaelan’s fiancée abandons him, and on a camping trip to the Shenandoah Valley, Gaelan and his parents are brutally attacked by an unknown beast. Gaelan survives despite his wounds, but he finds himself changed beyond his comprehension. Suddenly, he’s at war once more, pitted against a horde of monsters he never even knew existed as well as a tenacious order of hunters sanctioned by no less than the Vatican. The most crucial battle, however, is happening within, for Gaelan finally realizes what he has become—a mindless, murderous beast. A werewolf. Will Gaelan yield command to the monster within, or will he, as his father taught him, take control of himself and embrace his newfound power?

Part thriller, part paranormal fiction, but mostly the origin story of a swashbuckling, monster-hunting vigilante, Gaelan’s War takes readers on a journey of self-discovery, from the woods of Northern Virginia to a shrine in Japan, from a mysterious compound in China to a hiking trail in Canada. Aside from a lengthy first chapter, the book is briskly paced, with Gaelan’s foray into the supernatural world taking center stage for the remainder of the narrative. It’s a tale that will undoubtedly strike a familiar chord with fans of superhero stories. There’s a tragic beginning, the honing of acquired abilities and powers through rigorous training, and finally, the emergence of the hero in his full glory.

McGrath packs so many emotional moments in the narrative, constantly underscoring how painful and difficult Gaelan’s life is. Some readers may find these telenovela touches, poignant; others may feel that it’s overkill. That said, using the third person omniscient point of view is a very good choice, as first-person narration would have made Gaelan more melodramatic than he already appears. The dialogues, which are undeniably the book’s weakest point, do little to dispel this drama-queen-ish vibe around the titular character. Much of what Gaelan says or thinks to himself often sound so—there’s no other word for it—cheesy. With the author’s fondness for prolonged interjections (e.g., “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!”), the redundancy of the statement and the dialogue tags (e.g., “GAELAN!” Jennifer called his name.), and the baffling use of all caps when they’re not required, readers might actually feel their ears hurt just by reading the book. One scene vividly captures all these writing anomalies, where a horrified Gaelan “looked up at the sky and shouted out, ‘WHY? WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME? WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT TO TAKE FROM ME? WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?’”

While Gaelan is the indisputable star of the book, the story also includes a staggering ensemble of supporting characters that tend to bog down the narrative. Names can be quite hard to remember, and some characters almost seem indistinguishable from one another. Gaelan’s dad and Father Denny, a foul-mouthed priest who acts as Gaelan’s guardian, are set apart only by one thing: the former calls Gaelan “Bubba” while the latter calls him “Kiddo.”

McGrath seems to go out of his way to ensure that the world revolves around Gaelan. His hand feels far too heavy at times, creating circumstances that feel so contrived. In the story, Gaelan himself willfully creates situations where he’d be misunderstood, thereby reframing his outbursts as righteous anger and painting everybody else as spiteful, irrational, or at the worst, stupid. Readers who successfully connect with Gaelan’s character may see a damaged man struggling to feel whole again; those who do not may find Gaelan’s humor bland and his cockiness, off-putting.

Given his military background, McGrath handles the soldierly aspects of the book extremely well. His expansive knowledge of wine, cuisine, and foreign language adds texture to the narrative. A simple fact-check corroborates the geographical locations described in the book, suggesting that a fair amount of research went into the story. Finally, the ending is left open for a sequel, as though to say that we haven’t seen anything yet. Gaelan may have changed and evolved, but his war has just begun.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. More subtlety, diversity, and creativity in conveying extreme emotions through the dialogues will add a star (Stay away from the caps lock key, PLEASE!). Fixing the black and white approach to characterization will further bump the rating. While I would normally deduct another star for the several typographical errors I spotted in the text (e.g., the title was misspelled), giving the book just 1 star seems unfair. 1.5 stars would be a better numerical description of my overall experience with Gaelan and his ongoing war.

Gaelan’s War will probably appeal to paranormal and/or superhero enthusiasts. McGrath excels in describing fight scenes, complete with copious amounts of gore, so if you don’t mind situations where a character gets “torn in two at the mid-section,” this book might prove to be an entertaining read.

Gaelan's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like inaramid's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I definitely disliked such contrived circumstances. I appreciate your handling of this book. I think I'll stay away until more editing can occur.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
toni bas
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by toni bas »

i stand with what kandscreeley is saying...more editing needs to be done about this book!
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Characters with a bullied youth always make me sad. I have a hard time reading books where the character has been oppressed by their parents. Thank you for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

kandscreeley wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 10:38 I definitely disliked such contrived circumstances. I appreciate your handling of this book. I think I'll stay away until more editing can occur.
I do feel that there's a lot of things that can be done to improve the book before any thoughts for a sequel can be entertained. But hey, it's out of our hands now. Thanks for dropping by.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

NL Hartje wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 17:25 Characters with a bullied youth always make me sad. I have a hard time reading books where the character has been oppressed by their parents. Thank you for this review!
Oh, I hope I didn't give the impression that the parents were terrible. They were not. They were perfect, which brings me back to what I said that characters were too black and white. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

toni bas wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 15:35 i stand with what kandscreeley is saying...more editing needs to be done about this book!
Definitely. At the very least, I would love to see the caps lock key used more sparingly, the dialogues punctuated appropriately, and the title page corrected. Thanks for dropping by, toni bas!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I can't stand it when folks use all capitals for emphasis. I think of it as old school Internet yelling and grandparents on Facebook who can't figure out how to disengage Caps Lock.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

CommMayo wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 14:57 I can't stand it when folks use all capitals for emphasis. I think of it as old school Internet yelling and grandparents on Facebook who can't figure out how to disengage Caps Lock.
Me too. It was really an odd choice for a book. But I did come to a new appreciation of how powerful the printed word can be. SENTENCE IN ALL CAPS + an exclamation point (or two) + any variation of the verb 'shouted' = BOMBASTIC!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Thanks for the thoroughly written review, I love how you itemized points affecting your rating. I really don't get it with the prolonged interjections (in all caps, no less.) That certainly would be visually terrifying.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

inaramid wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 20:12
CommMayo wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 14:57 I can't stand it when folks use all capitals for emphasis. I think of it as old school Internet yelling and grandparents on Facebook who can't figure out how to disengage Caps Lock.
Me too. It was really an odd choice for a book. But I did come to a new appreciation of how powerful the printed word can be. SENTENCE IN ALL CAPS + an exclamation point (or two) + any variation of the verb 'shouted' = BOMBASTIC!
My last two reviews had the same issue. One was beyond hope and got one star while the other was quality enough to over look the issue.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Vickie Noel wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 23:30 Thanks for the thoroughly written review, I love how you itemized points affecting your rating. I really don't get it with the prolonged interjections (in all caps, no less.) That certainly would be visually terrifying.
You know how writers are told that dialogues should be written like they're supposed to be spoken by real people in real life? In this case, I think the author took the directive to an extreme. Characters say "Uhhhhhhh" to indicate hesitation or shout "ARGHHHHH!" to show that they're angry -- or under attack by armed men or monsters or both.
Last edited by inaramid on 25 Feb 2018, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

CommMayo wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 00:38
inaramid wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 20:12
My last two reviews had the same issue. One was beyond hope and got one star while the other was quality enough to over look the issue.
I do enjoy reading your reviews. (I share your indignation in the prices authors attach to low-quality work.) I hope the last book gets a retouch though :).
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for this. By the middle of paragraph three, I was starting to think this might be an interesting read - then I got to the hunters sanctioned by the Vatican. Oh dear.... I think I would have given up at that point - and if not then, definitely when we got to the capitals - but you went on to write a really detailed and painstakingly fair review. Well done.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I am a fan of the superhero genre; however, too much gore is something I can't handle. Maybe I should steer clear from this one then :) Thank you for a wonderful review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”