Review by JmCovert -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
JmCovert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmcovert.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Review by JmCovert -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by JmCovert » 20 Feb 2018, 11:32

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven's Peak

Raven’s Peak is one of the books that you pick up expecting it to be okay, but it is so much more than that. While I’ve read many books that starts slow and get you accustomed to the writing style, the characters, and setting, this book does not.

The prologue is action packed and dives head first into a world without ever touching the breaks. The story does a wonderful job of filling in the blanks. Every question I had was quickly answered. The story played with the concept of demons and that only a select few knew about them. It was interesting to see how they pulled off having a majority of the society know nothing about it.

Abigail is a complex character with her own feelings. The story provides excellent character development while showing her as the total powerhouse that she is. It was interesting to get to see certain things from her point of view, as she really drew you in.
Haatim’s story is as equally sad as Abigail which makes this interesting. Instead of having one character out for redemption, you get to see how two different people process their grief and how they move past it.

What is supposed to be a relatively uneventful order for Abigail quickly turns into so much more and brings her and Haatim together. The characters have such different personalities, it really brings them to life. Once Haatim is caught up in Abigail’s chaos, there is no turning back. It’s also interesting to see the basic gender roles reversed here. Abigail is an Order trained almost semi-soldier, whereas Haatim is a scholar. The two come from opposite backgrounds and when forced to interact, make the scenes all the better.

My only regret with this book is that we did not get to see more of the Reverend. His quick introduction and quick exit were very brief and left me wanting to know more about the character. At the same time, the air of mystery keeps you hooked so even while you want to know more, you won’t put the book down.

I would have to rate this a 4 out of 4 stars. The book is intense and filled with catalysts and plot twists at every turn. The story is intriguing and leaves nothing to be desired. The large cliffhanger at the end of the book will make you immediately want to dive into the next.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JmCovert's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”