Review: The Everett Exorcism by Lincoln

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Review: The Everett Exorcism by Lincoln

Post by drunyan »

Book Review: The Everett Exorcism

At first I wasn’t too sure about this book, it is not one of the usual genre I go for. However, once I started it, I could not put it down.

Father Niccolo Palatin is sent by the Vatican to Everett, Washington, USA. He is there to investigate the request of a young priest, Father Jackson Reynolds. Reynolds has encountered what he believes to be a demon inhabiting one of his parishoners. Palatin arrives in the city, and meets with the local Bishop, Leopold Glasser. Glasser has heard the request of Fr. Reynolds, and denied instead of accepting the decision made by Glasser, Reynold contacted the Vatican and requested assistance. As the story unfolds, Palatin meets with Father Reynolds, then the lady that Reynolds believes is controlled by a demon.

The plot thickens when strange things occur as he goes around the city, and Palatin cannot ignore them. He struggles with the idea that demons are real, and believes that almost every situation boils down to simple mental illness coupled with terrible circumstances or social anxieties. He is trained in exorcism, yet has never conduct one, nor has he witnessed demons or the exorcism of one. His philosophy of what a demon changes, when he encounters what can only be considered as a possession. Can it be that not only is this woman truly possessed by a demon, but that the various activities within the Everett community are connected?

Bishop Glasser, the Bishop for several cities in Washington, is a complicating factor. Not only does he not grant Reynold request for an exorcism, he thwarts the process. To Palatin, it seems strange that Glasser grants forgiveness to Father Reynolds too easily – in most situations where a priest goes around a bishop, the priest is removed from the ministry. Does he know something? Is he trying to cover something up

The writer weaves a story of paranormal and suspense with alacrity. His characters are well-developed and very believable. Each of them struggles with self-doubt, wondering if what they are experiencing is truly real, or if they are making stuff up in their minds.

I felt the “creepy factor” in this book was high, the pace of events picked up as the story went along. Voices out of nowhere, and visions of things that were not real complemented the deaths of several characters in the book.

I did not see any typographical or grammatical errors; it appears this book was professionally reviewed and flowed smoothly.

I rated this book 4 out of 4
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”