Review: Dark Passages by Ilsa J. Bick [Spoilers]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sabotower
Bookshelf Size: 0

Review: Dark Passages by Ilsa J. Bick [Spoilers]

Post by Sabotower »

This series is crazy. Everything unfolds at a breakneck pace, with every turn of the page making you question what you just read. Nothing is clear, because nothing wants to be clear. You never know if you are reading a scene about a character brushing their teeth or finding out that they exist within the confines of the story. I managed to get through White Space, the first book in the series, with very little existential headaches. There is a twist around halfway through that involves a character's abusive mother also being their best friend, as well as a scene that involves the second book of the series being read by a character in this book, but other than that, it isn't too mind-boggling. The second book in the series, The Dickens Mirror, is an insane psychedelic trip from start to finish. While there are many sections that I consider to be some of the best in Horror Literature, the overall story is too much of a struggle to understand to make it worth it for a more casual reader. I spent over a month unpacking the plot and alternate storylines of this book, and I've only just scratched the surface. Overall, a great series that I'd recommend to the most devoted of readers and I assure you, you will have your eyes glued to the page nonstop. Have fun :tiphat:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”