Official Review: The Good Fight by Dan E. Hendrickson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: The Good Fight by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Good Fight" by Dan E. Hendrickson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Good Fight is the first book in The Last Enemy series by Dan E. Hendrickson. It is, at its heart, an action-crime novel. It includes not only corruption, pirates, and battles in international waters, but also the importance of family.

Danielle’s father, Commander Jacob Edwards, is known as the Hero of Cozumel due to his actions at sea years ago in response to a pirate attack on a cruise ship. Having grown up worshipping her father, Danielle is devastated when tragedy strikes. Struggling to cope, she takes solace in her dance company, taking time away from the family automotive business where there are too many memories.

However, these memories refuse to be left behind as she finds herself in the middle of an elaborate plot to destroy everything she holds dear. Will she be able to help save her family or will she lose everything?

Written in third person, the story mainly follows Danielle with some sections set in the past focused on Jacob. Danielle comes across as a determined young woman with a strong sense of honour and family. She’s a likeable character, not only because of her work with the children in her dance company but because she doesn’t fall into the category of a damsel in distress. There are many secondary characters and they are all portrayed realistically. One which I found especially well written was the character of Boris. Determined and cruel, he lets nothing come between him and his plans, not even family. This provides a nice contrast to Danielle’s character.

Set mainly in Texas and around the sea, there are a lot of nautical and naval references included in the writing. However, for someone like me who has no knowledge of the technical jargon associated with this, I found that, luckily, it never overwhelmed the story.

Several serious topics are brought up here such as murder, rape, physical and sexual abuse. Though these are difficult subjects, they were never depicted in a graphic or unnecessary manner which I appreciated as a reader.

The writing style was fast-paced and gripping right from the start and I found it difficult to put the book down. While the majority of the storyline was tied up by the end, there was a huge cliffhanger in the last chapter. This will lead in well to the next book in the series.

Unfortunately, there were many simple errors in the editing such as unnecessary hyphens and missing speech marks. These would easily be picked up with another edit. Due to this, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the story a lot more than I anticipated, and the plot was both solid and believable. I recommend this book to any readers who enjoy thriller or action based fiction, especially those with a fondness towards sea-based settings. I look forward to the next in the series.

The Good Fight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Seems to be a challenging plot! Even though there were errors I hope it can be overlook, beside a prof-reading will do the trick. Like to add it in!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thank you for your review. I don't know why, but the book sounds too cliche-istic for me. Anyway, those who enjoy action fiction in particular may find it appealing.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think it's wonderful when the author brings up serious topics such as you mention but yet does it in a delicate manner. Too bad about the errors, but it still sounds like it's worth a read! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bewa
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades Darker
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bewa.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Bewa »

For action lovers The Good Fight is definitely the book to read. It is always amazing finding a book that captivates you from the start. Well done!
Kim41
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kim41 »

It was a good book to read
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

Sounds like a good book! Thanks for the well-written review!
Boydbunch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boydbunch.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Boydbunch »

Your review made it sound like a good book to read. I was initially thinking it would have too much nautical references that would go over my head. You have put my mind at ease. Glad to hear there isn't overt detail in the serious issues that take away from the story.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Am a fan of energetic genres with a bustling story line...review is much appreciated
olatunji 5326

Post by olatunji 5326 »

your review is good it makes feel like the book will be a very interesting book to read
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

An action-crime novel revolving around conspiracy, pirates, and battles on high seas sounds exciting. Too bad about the technical jargon, the naval references, and the lack of editing. I like sea-based settings, but don't care for cliffhangers. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite those issues. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Emberdreams222

Post by Emberdreams222 »

I enjoyed this review's personal analysis of the characters. I tend to form an emotional bond with the protagonist, and it helps to know what I'm getting myself into :)
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

A mysterious plane wreck involving the death of the U.S. Coast Guard hero known as "The Commander" starts off this book purported to be a fantastic mix of action, intrigue, syndicated crime, family relations, and romance. All this together definitely merits looking a bit closer at this exciting novel.
mingyums
Currently Reading: Sweet Mandarin
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mingyums.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by mingyums »

I love when the final book of a series comes out, as I like to read a series all in one good. This book sounds really thrilling and fast-paced throughout the series, so that's a good sign, looking forward to reading it!
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

I love action. Will give this book a try. I don't think the errors will make a difference if the story is good.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”