Review by Nyla -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nyla
Currently Reading: The Expelled
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyla.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Review by Nyla -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

Post by Nyla »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Veterans Day is a crime, politics, mystery, fictional thriller by J.J Jorgens. The book is set in Washington D.C. and it focus on deception, corruption, covetousness and the condition of the United State Veterans but spiced up with a little bit of romance though not raunchy.

The protagonist of the book is Mary Jane Morris, a 38-years old private detective who loves her simple life. The story started in a Halloween night, dressed in her skeleton costume, she received a voice message from her friend and ex partner David McHale known as Davy who sounded extremely perilous. She sets out to find him in his office risking her life in the process but unfortunately, a man who appears to be sleeping peacefully with his head on the desk already has a hole in his head and it perfectly seem like suicide but Mary’s instinct keeps telling her otherwise so she decide to investigate and bring down Davy’s murderer.

Being an inexorable lady, Mary pursued the only lead she got, only to find herself caught up amidst a massive conspiracy involving top officials of the city whose true nature she described as ravenous, venomous and cruel unlike the sweet, kind and gracious mask they exhibit. They are attempting to denationalize the Veterans Association leaving the veterans homeless, hopeless and in great suffering. Having discovered why Davy was murdered, she found herself fighting against them to save the Veterans. Will Mary Jane Morris survive all alone in this war against the unbeatable? Will she succeed in bringing down Davy’s murderer? Will she be able to save the Veterans and their association?

What I appreciate most about this book is the intermix of politics, crime, mystery, humor, romance and history. Although the book is fascinating, in some parts, you have to force yourself to keep your eyes on the book because it seems totally pointless as if Mary derailed from her train of thought. My favorite line in this book is the similitude of people and wine by Shakespeare mentioned by Mary. What I also like about this book in its grand description of Washington D.C.

What I don’t cherish about the book is its inconsistency; it keeps going back and forth, discussing a point, abandoning it halfway and advancing to another point. Unlike how intriguing the story starts, it turns out to be straightforward with no twist as such. Also, there are few misspellings in the book, though it doesn’t affect the flow of the story.

I will rate the book 3 out of 4. It has a stimulating start, enjoyable story line and it connects its characters in a reasonable way. I did not give it 4 out of 4 because of its inconsistency, irrelevant points and some misspelt words present therein. Hence, I will suggest that this book is professionally re-edited to correct its errors.

I will recommend this book to lovers of crime, politics, humor, romance, all in one and I will discourage jingoists and individuals that are strongly against gender equality from reading the book.

Veterans Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nyla's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Agree totally with your comment about the descriptions of DC. I also liked that the author mixed in some humor along with the crime and politics. Great job.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”