Review by Chiara_fernando -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiara_fernando
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiara-fernando.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Review by Chiara_fernando -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Chiara_fernando »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven’s Peak is the first book of World on Fire series written by Columbus-based author Lincoln Cole. The story revolves around the two protagonists, Abigail Dressler and Haatim Arison. The former who grew up hunting and fighting evil, while the latter, that is used to a normal and comfortable life. Unwillingly, their paths entwined unaware of a greater entity lurking outside.

In terms of context, I cannot compare Raven’s Peak to any book I have read so far. It is a thriller book but a bit darker than other books of the same genre. But like the others, it is quiet impossible to put down once you start reading it. This volume is an easy and enthralling read that is why I finished half of the book in just one night!
The epilogue is very intriguing which is rightfully so, since every epilogue should be that way. Interesting as well are the characters especially the main ones. I love the badass heroine, Abi, and the very naïve Haatim. The contrast between their personalities made their duo befits each other. But even though I love their first personal encounter, I craved for more of their interactions in the story. It seems like their relationship did not develop very well in the book. But seriously, I’m rooting for these two! Perhaps the author have a lot of things in stored for them on the following volumes (I’m crossing my finger for that possibility).

I cannot decide whether I like the fast pacing of the story or not but the gore in the book is too much for my liking. In my opinion as well, the theme of the story which includes demons and religions might be a sensitive topic to other readers that is why I don’t recommend the book to those whose faith is on the edge. Some scenarios might affect you in some ways (or at least that’s the case for me) or I am probably too engrossed in the story that I got affected that much. Nevertheless, I enjoy this inaugural book of the series. I actually had fun reading it.

I am giving this book 2 out of 4 stars. I think it’s a fair score considering I am looking for more of the characters emotion (probably just like how the author detailed the action scenes). It might be a good chance to connect more with the characters. Still, I can’t wait to read the next book! The ending is such a cliff hanger!

I recommend this book to those who are looking for a fast pace read full of adventure with supernatural twist, you’ll surely love this!

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Chiara_fernando's review? Post a comment saying so!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Unforseen
Bookshelf Size: 447
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Post by kdstrack »

Nice review. I really like how you contrast the different backgrounds of Abigail and Haatim. Then you show how, despite their differences, they compensate each other and work well together. Great job. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”