Official Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Twisted But True" by Darren Burch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The boys in blue have been getting a bad rap these last few years, so it was with both interest and trepidation that I grabbed a copy of Darren Burch's book, Twisted But True. In his book, the former lawman tells many tales from his days on the force in Phoenix, AZ. Covering incidents from his new officer days to his times in supervisory positions, the stories run the gamut from creepy to hilarious to scary to gross to unbelievable, and I'm very glad that I got a glimpse into the life.

Before delving into the twisted tales, retired Sergeant Burch goes way back in time to tell about the events that influenced him to go into this particular line of work. I admit that I was a little irritated at first, as I wanted to get right into the “twisted” tales, but I soon found myself hypnotized and crying over the things he talks about in this section. These stories also broaden the lens on the man that the author is and give much-needed background information on him. I soon found myself appreciating him and thinking that we need more cops like him.

Then, we got into the nitty-gritty. As mentioned above, the tales that Mr. Burch tells cover a wide range, thanks to his time working in a variety of capacities in patrol, sex crimes, and homicide. There were over 30 tales, so I cannot cover them all, but I will say that – morbid person that I am – my favorite anecdotes were the ones that took place during his sex crime days, notably “That Sucks, Mr. Hoover” and “No More Mr. Nice Guy.” I won't go into details on those two in case anyone reading this is faint-of-heart. I also liked the yarns that were gross, such as “Liquid Person Bursting at the Seams” and “Bad Hair Day”, both of which discussed the condition of a person's body after rotting for a few days. But my favorite stories by far were “Chasing Mad Cow” and “The Woman Who Screams At Cars”. The former is a tale about the author, new on the force, chasing after a cow who appeared to be mad. At one point, he even tried to use his wrestling experience to wrangle the cow. I admit it. I nearly peed myself reading that one, it was so funny. The latter story was about just that, a woman who was screaming at cars. It wasn't that simple, but I'll leave it up to any interested readers to find out what happened.

I absolutely adored this book and wished I could read more of Mr. Burch's tales. He has a great writing style, very casual yet descriptive. Though he didn't go into too many details, I could still picture everything as if I was watching a movie. One of the things I liked most was how the author would add a brief “Twist” at the end of each yarn wherein he would add an interesting postscript to each tale. In fact, sometimes these twists were funnier than the tales they followed.

I also appreciated the author's mention of different people he worked with, as well as his family. I could feel the love he felt for everyone, and this served to make me appreciate how he put himself in danger many times to protect others. I especially teared-up when he mentioned his son, DJ; as a parent, it made my heart warm to read about another parent's deep love for his child. Some of the people he mentioned also died on the job, which made me tear-up in a different kind of way. Insofar as the suspects and victims included in his stories, the author had the propensity of giving them an appropriate nickname, such as “Mr. Stocky”, “Batboy”, and “Ms. Liar-Liar”. This way of “protecting the innocent/guilty” was very creative and had me smiling throughout the book.

As great as Twisted But True is, I have to make mention of the editing. In the Acknowledgements, the author thanks someone, saying, “Your edits turned the manuscript into the novel I always dreamed it could be!” I appreciate that he was concerned enough to have someone assist in editing, but I recommend he have another pair of eyes look at this book, as I found many errors. They were mostly missteps in punctuation, with the occasional missed or extra word, and while they weren't enough to take away from my enjoyment, I still have to point them out. "As I continued to apply pressure, I saw that his facial coloring go grey” was one sentence with an extra word in it. "Not for a single second did I think it unfair that after chasing a cow over hill and dale, that it was a cowboy showing up at the last minute to save the day; and a lot of drivers on the freeway" was another sentence that had me scratching my head due to its lack of editing. I also wasn't too keen on its formatting. Each "page" of the .pdf was split into two pages, so it looked like an open book. The problem was that whether reading it on my laptop or on my Android phone, I had to maneuver the page around as I went from the left "page" to the right "page". Depending on how magnified I had my screen, I'd also have to maneuver when going from top to bottom, equaling two to three scrolls per page. However, since this may not be a problem in the printed edition, I won't take off for it.

All told, I think Twisted But True was an excellent book that pulled every emotion known to man (and woman) out of me. I'm sad to have to give it 3 out of 4 stars due to the aforementioned grammatical errors, but I highly recommend it to any adult who's interested in pursuing a job in law enforcement. I also think readers interested in crime stories who'd like to “go along for the ride” would enjoy the book. On the other hand, this is not a book for those with weak stomachs or delicate sensibilities, as there is a lot of graphic content in it.

Twisted But True
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

From your review this is more than the typical mystery book. I would definitely be interested in reading a collection of such stories especially since they are inspired from one man's life's work and they have that touch of the real to be sought in any good book. I am sorry for the poor editing, but I hope it would fixed in time. Thank you very much for your interesting review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

This is a great review! I appreciate your honesty - the content sounds fascinating, but thank you for the warning about the gory details and the grammatical issues. I love crime and mystery stories, but blood and copious grammar issues both give me the heebie-jeebies! But from your review it certainly sounds emotionally gripping and well-constructed, and I can tell you thoroughly enjoyed it!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Honestly, I can only imagine what police officers see on a daily basis. I'm sure they ALL have interesting and morbid tales to tell. This certainly sounds like it could be a captivating read. It's too bad about the grammatical errors, but it sounds worth picking up anyway. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I particularly loved the first line where you said you approached the book with both interest and trepidation due to the subject matter. The author's accounts sound interesting. Still, you made a good point about the need for better editing. I cringe when I read an author thanking his editor for wonderful work and then find numerous errors in a book!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Thanks for another great review, MsTri! I'm liking the sound of this already. It's definitely worth checking out. (This is one of the times that I wished we could spoil the content, because I'm really, REALLY curious to know what that woman was screaming about.)

I can relate with the editor thing. In the acknowledgment of one of the last books I read, there was a note about an editor AND a proofreader. It's sad how the quality of the book sometimes doesn't reflect that.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

The cover was funny and intriguing. Despite the content, the page layout and the typos would totally turn me off.

Thanks for stopping by my review.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

As someone who works for a fire department with paramedics, fire fighters, and the cops next door, I would totally love this book. I think the average person has no idea the messed up situations these public servants find themselves dealing with: Some wholly effed up and some that are completely absurd.

Thanks for the review:-)
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

This is such an interesting concept for a book, especially for those morbid people among us - myself included. ;)
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Am not a fan of morbidity but still is an interesting read according to your exceptional review!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

One of the things that one would like to know about is how law enforcement deals with their day to day lives of fighting crime.
This I know would be very interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the book on this review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Great review! Like you, I was skeptical when I picked this book up, but it pleasantly surprised me. So much so that I could not put the book down, and devoured it in only two sittings!
I think that once the errors are rectified, Twisted but True will be perfect!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”