Official Review: Dead Air by Cliff Protzman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Dead Air by Cliff Protzman

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dead Air" by Cliff Protzman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dead Air is a mystery novel by Cliff Protzman. Dead air is the term known for the unforgivable sin of radio silence. While generally caused by unprofessionalism or technical difficulties, sometimes it’s caused by something much more sinister.

When private investigator Glenn “Beck” Beckert hears a long period of dead air on his high school friend’s Pittsburgh radio channel, he’s immediately concerned. This concern is justified when he is called soon after by his security team. There’s been a murder at Z-Rock radio station.

What unfolds has Beck caught up not only in the murder investigation but in an illegal scam which seems to have entangled everyone involved with the radio station. Everywhere he turns, Beck seems to find no real answers. Will he be able to work out who is the one behind it all and clear his friend’s name, or will he lose his own life in the process?

Written in first person, the story is told from Beck’s perspective. This enables the reader to have an insight into his personality and decision making processes. Beck comes across as a realistic character. All his flaws and mistakes are portrayed as well as his loyalty and strong moral standards. Another character which I liked was Irene. As Beck’s friend, Irene uses her technical skills to assist him in his investigation as well as provide emotional support. Irene comes across as a strong-minded, confident female character, and doesn’t fall into the common damsel in distress category. The secondary characters are three dimensional and are portrayed well. I was constantly questioning their motives and I was not sure who was guilty until the very end.

The writing style was professional and the story flowed along smoothly throughout the book. While everything was resolved at the end of the story, I can easily see this becoming part of a series, with Beck facing more drama and mystery in the course of his work as a private investigator and with his security company.

I only found one or two minor errors in the writing and the book appears to be professionally edited. While sometimes I found my mind wandering a little during some of the technical aspects, and I found the constant mentioning of Beck’s beer brand unnecessarily repetitive, there is very little else to criticise with this book. Overall, it was an enjoyable read and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I appreciate mystery novels which are not predictable and this one definitely falls into this category. I would recommend this to any readers who are fans of mystery fiction and especially those who like financial based crime.

Dead Air
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like an interesting novel. I read a book by this same name quite a while back. Definitely a different story. I might have to look into this one. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

After the end of the summary, I found my self saying "Oh boy!" The book certainly seem very interesting especially when the protagonist has been stated to be a realistic character, this shows some genuine touch. Thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

Sounds like fun! I think this might be a fun one to read.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Sounds interesting. Because you mention that Irene is a strong character, I might check it out. The whole damsel in distress doesn't do it for me.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
WF Icon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WF Icon »

The review sounds so interesting, seems I've read an interesting book by this same author before.......I'm gonna check this out
Sylvo2018
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sylvo2018 »

The book is very interesting. The idea conveyed is amazing. I will like to read another of its kind.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Great for those pursuing a field in law or forensics...and I appreciate that its not foreseeable..great job!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”