Official Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by MarisaRose »

I don’t typically go for dystopian themed novels, but I think the format of this one sounds interesting. Vignettes can be incredibly powerful despite their short length.
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

This review makes the book sound very interesting. However I did not find the sample all that interesting, it might be just a ruff start to a good book but either way based on the sample I wouldn’t bother with the rest of the book. Even though the reviewer says it’s worth the read.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Fabulous Review. Going Gone is a dystopian novel which consists of a series of vignettes. Fast-paced, intelligently written, difficult to put down once you start reading. I love to see how this political drama unfolds.
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

I love the dystopian genre, and I love vignettes when they're done well. This review has me interested, I'll give this book a try.
Holly_15280
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Holly_15280 »

Going Gone by Abraham Lopez.

After only reading the first 4-5 pages, I was hooked and knew I would want to read further. The assassin was found and killed by it sounds like his mentor, his teacher. But why? That to me made this thriller, Agent for hire novel different right there. I’d want to find out more of the stores. And I liked the authors use of words, adjectives, descriptions. I could imagine things going on really well.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the review! I read the sample and wasn't sure if I wanted to keep reading. I found it confusing...but after reading this review, I will add this book to my Want to Read shelf.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This definitely sounds like a very unique way of telling a dystopian story but I feel like it works. It's interesting to have multiple viewpoints in order to understand their world. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five

Post by HeatherTasker »

Dystopian novels are amongst my favorite. It sounds like this one is pretty quickly paced. I'm not sure how I'd feel about the story-telling style overall but may give it a shot! Thanks for the great review!
patseal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by patseal »

i'm with Kat. I also want to know the fate of the characters. What happened to Jason and his family? This type of book seems so fatalistic, is there really no good left in the world.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I have read a few books told via vignettes and I have really enjoyed them. I'm especially intrigued by this one because I do love a good Dystopian tale. I'm definitely looking forward to this one. Thanks for the great review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Mama12
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Mama12 »

Going Gone by A Lopez
I so wanted to like this book but if a book doesn’t grab my attention in the first few pages then it’s hard for me to plow through. Sorry this one didn’t cut it for me.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html

Post by Chitopogi »

This book "Going Gone" by Abraham Lopez is a dystopian mystery novel mired in politics. Although it seems intriguing, this book contains missing words and error in spelling which are very distracting. So I may have to place this book in my shelf's "to be read" corner. :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Oooh I always love dystopia! I'm excited to add this to my list!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

Even though I love dystopian novels, I think I will be skipping this one. I am not really interested in the plot. Nonetheless, thank you for the review!
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295

Post by tamdlyte »

Oh, well, this sounds interesting... twelve chapters told by twelve different people about the collapse of a dystopian society.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”