Official Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Re: Official Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

A dystopian collection of short stories about a collapsing system, cultism, assassination and espionage? Sounds intriguing! Awesome review! I hope it gets another round of editing to improve its rating. Well done!
Stephanie smart
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stephanie smart »

I love this book. I really want to know what is in the suite Case and how this ends.
Grisca57
Currently Reading:

Post by Grisca57 »

Going Gone by Abraham Lopez appears to be on the move from its beginnings. Although the reader must be advanced to sort through the author's choice of words, once the adventure begins the novel is one that will be difficult to put down. The hurried sense of guarding the Prime Minister is evident from the start. This book will keep readers on the edge of their seats.
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

I read various collections of stories in the past but never one like this book. Despite telling a different plot in each of the 12 stories, the outcome of all of them is the same - to describe the demise of the country. It will be interesting to see how the author managed to do this.
Rheetah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rheetah.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Rheetah »

I have never read such a novel before so I am not sure I would like it. Its seems complicated and I would feel very unfulfilled if I wouldn't know what happens to the characters in the end. Great review though.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds pretty intriguing, as I LOVE books that do unusual things. I'm not too keen on the plot itself, but the whole vignette thing is unique and I'm interested in a story told this way, although, as you mentioned, I'd probably be one of those readers who'd go nuts not knowing what happened to each person... Too bad about the grammatical errors, though; I've read quite a few books that I would like to have rated 5 were it possible, but I had to mark them down and it hurt me to my heart to have to do so... Thanks for the very thorough review!
mohammedaslam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mohammedaslam »

A comprehensive review about a dystopian based on the collapse of America with a series of vignettes. The review is fairly extensive and gives the glimpse of what you may expect throughout the reading. In line with the review, you can easily get motivated to read this one of a kind story.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Amazing onlinebook.org review that made add this book to my list of books that I plan to read soon. I loved how the plot and characters were described and I am looking forward to reading the book.
Zuribooks
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zuribooks.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Zuribooks »

Dystopian books are the one I enjoy most on science fiction, now I wanna know what happens with Jessie :c, plus as I see it also add some politics into the book so I'm sure is really really adapted to my taste in reading, thank you for the review
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Your review was really helpful! This sounds like a complex read with a lot to keep track of, so it's good to know that it wasn't difficult to understand. I don't read much Dystopian literature, but I do like how this book is set up, with each chapter focusing on a different person. Authors amaze me at how perfectly they are able to make connections to the big picture through the stories of each character. I have added this one to my WTR list. Thank you!
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

As soon as you mentioned that each chapter is told by a different character, I found myself hesitating. I'm the type of person that likes to know everything about the characters in the books I read. But, I'm glad that you didn't find the lack of details upsetting. Great job on the review!
LeonSkyler

Post by LeonSkyler »

I will admit I wouldn't have read this book sample based on the summary alone. But after reading it, I really am glad i did. It starts off fast and interesting and the way the author just glosses over the dark topics was graceful. I like his choice of words and his writing style is good even if it isn't really of my liking. I will definitely keep this book in mind for the next time I feel like reading something dystopian.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Nice review. Dystopian fiction is one of my favorite genres, though political tales are near the bottom. The premise of this book is interesting and the way the story is told in vignettes by different characters is intriguing. I think I’ll give this one a try. Thanks for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Damorela00
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 128

Post by Damorela00 »

Going Gone is a dystopian book unlike many I have read. The book contains a series of vignettes. Each is separate, yet all work together to tell the story of a collapse of a society. Added to my to be read list. I must finish reading this
nokbyeol
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nokbyeol.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by nokbyeol »

I'm not really a fan of dystopian novels, but you gave a very interesting review that I might consider reading this one. It's an easy read being it having only 250 pages or so, but being like that really makes some areas lacking in a sense because you cannot fit everything in just a few pages. Thanks for a thorough review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”