Review by lglizete -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lglizete
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lglizete.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by lglizete -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by lglizete »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven's Peak, is the first novel in the World on Fire series by author Lincoln Cole. Raven's Peak is a 219-page action-packed fantasy series that revolves around demons and hunting them. It centers around the lives of two characters, Haatim and Abigail. Abigail, a paranormal/demon hunter is assigned to look into some mysterious deaths in a town called Raven's Peak. This is the same town her adoptive father, Arthur battled and lost to a demon one year ago. Consequently, Abigail has no memories of that battle. Then there is Haatim who is a typical young adult, who is grieving over the death of his sixteen-year-old sister. In an eventful twist, he becomes tangled in Abigail's affairs and learns about the truth of a number of supernatural powers that roam the earth.

The novel is a great read for avid readers of this genre. It's an interesting plot that moves quickly and doesn't drag but also doesn't neglect character development. I found myself involved with the main characters and the choices they make. Originally, I was going to skim through the pages but very quickly found myself engrossed in the story. Raven's Peak, is an easy story to read and isn't muddled with complicated self-righteous words or descriptors.

Haatim, due to some circumstances, becomes Abigail partner in the investigation into Raven's Peak. It becomes apparent that whatever is affecting Raven's Peak is powerful beyond comprehension. Abigail is confronted with the events that happened one-year ago that lead to the disappearance of her mentor and adoptive father, Arthur. The books ending is not satisfying but in a good way. I'm already emotionally involved in purchasing the next novel in the series.

This story is action-based and reminds me of Terry Brooks, Running With Demons, the first book in the Word & Void fantasy series. It also reminds me other great novels of Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre without being a direct copy-cat. It brought back some of the action and horror that I feel has been missing in recent Sci-Fi/Fantasy novels.

I rate this 4 out of 4 stars. This book is professionally formatted and edited although it does have grammatical errors here and there. Even with the grammatical errors, the plot is amazing, that I almost overlooked them several times. In fact, If I wasn't overtly looking for errors, I wouldn't have noticed them. The errors do not in any way distract from the overall story which, is why I didn't rate this 3 out of 4 stars. Lincoln Cole's, clean writing style and detailed descriptions are what makes this novel an easy-read. His plot and character development make this novel worth the read and make me anticipated reading the World on Fire series.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lglizete's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nice review. I liked it very much. Cole is definitely grabs your interest from the very beginning. I laughed when you said you were just going to skim the book but then got hooked! You went from skimming to overlooking typos. That is a great book. Thanks.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

I really liked this book as well, and I enjoyed reading your thoughts on it. Great job! :)
Lonely98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lonely98 »

It’s ok personally a fair book

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”