Official Review: Girl Unseen by Athena Daniels

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Girl Unseen by Athena Daniels

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Girl Unseen" by Athena Daniels.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pia Williams is a psychic medium who works with the TV series Debunking Reality. The team is called in to investigate a lighthouse cottage that is famous in the area for being haunted by the ghost of a man who died there thirty years earlier, but the family that bought the cottage with plans to renovate it want proof that that was just a myth. Unfortunately, during the investigation a local man is killed in the exact same way that the man in the myth was, and the police try to make Pia take the blame. But she knows. The true murderer was the spirit of a girl who experienced something gruesome in that home. The spirit is truly powerful, bordering on demonic possession level, and Pia struggles with her need to help the girl and her wariness of what might happen if she does.

Girl Unseen is the third novel in Athena Daniels’ Beyond the Grave series, although it can be read as a stand-alone novel. Daniels alludes to events that occur in the earlier books but gives the reader a good idea of what happened without directly spelling things out. I was in the mood for a spooky novel when I picked Girl Unseen up, and I got what I wished for and much more! Pia is a fierce and completely independent main character who commands respect. Daniels did a wonderful job creating her character, and she was truly the star of the show.

There were plenty of other great characters who also showed up in the beginning of the series. I feel like I would have liked them even more if I had read those books, but as it is I enjoyed the relationships the characters shared well enough. I also thought the pacing of the story was nice, with creepy moments happening when I least expected them. Although the plot was fairly linear in a way, there were plenty of surprises and a huge plot twist at the end! I read the entire novel in just a few days because it was so thrilling. It had me grabbing my Kindle as soon as my lunch break started and reading up until the last minute possible.

Grammatically there were just a handful of misses, most of which I only caught because they made me look twice. The quality of Daniels’ writing and the way she built up her novel -- its plot, the characters, the surprises -- made me a huge fan. I honestly don’t think I have anything bad to say about this novel. I only wish I had read the first two books in the series first, so I could have had the full experience.

I believe Girl Unseen deserves 4 out of 4 stars. I could go on and on when it comes to the things Daniels did well. I truly have nothing but praise for this witty, suspenseful, and downright spooky novel. I would highly recommend it to fans of suspense and horror who can take a good fright and who don’t mind a little bit of romance splashed in. There are some explicit scenes, so I wouldn’t recommend it to younger readers or anyone who can’t handle a good scare.

Girl Unseen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This looks like a fun and cozy book, even if it is a bit spooky at times. I am always looking for those as something to read in between my non-fiction books, or books that aren't quite as lively. This sounds like a good one. Thanks for the review.
djordjesvonja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djordjesvonja.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by djordjesvonja »

I am glad that you are delighted with the book. I love horror books and surely i will read it, i will ad this book to my shelf. Nice review, interesting and neat.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Definitely for me, I love the plot and the genre. There seem to me a certain mystery involved and I like the suspense and the questioning of what-will-happen-next. Looking forward to add to my book collection!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

If I'm in the mood for a good spooky novel, this seems like a good one. I don't often feel that need though. I'm glad you enjoyed this and that it can be read as a stand alone. I hate jumping into the middle without knowing what's going on.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
smartkim
Currently Reading: Last Seen
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by smartkim »

im not fan of reading horror stories but this book amazed me, with great characters who also showed up & the mystery behind the story.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

A ghost out for revenge is one I'd like to meet! Weird, but mystery and crime are my comfort reads. I expect to have a great time with Pia Williams and the murderous spirit!

Thanks for the welcome scare, Katiesquilts!
Prince+gozie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Prince+gozie »

The book was very interested I love it. Am looking forward to read de next book.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Witty, suspenseful, and spooky sounds like a great mixture in a book to me. Pia sounds like the type of character I love reading about so I'll have to check this book out soon. Nice job on the review!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I'm not sure I could sleep at night while reading this one but the characters might make it worth it.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Seagrin harris
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Seagrin harris »

This is my kinda book with it's dark twist and turns and excitement .seems to be a very good book :D
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

I love the fact that the main girl is a strong character. But horror books are a no no for me. Your review is great and thank you.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds really spooky - a spirit committing murder! I'm glad you really enjoyed the book.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Aquaria
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aquaria.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Aquaria »

After reading your review I'm directly adding this book to my "Want to read" shelf. I'm hooked.
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

Sounds great! Sign me up. I'm digging this trend of women as horror protagonists and hope it continues.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”