Official Review: do a little wrong by Don Dahler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Official Review: do a little wrong by Don Dahler

Post by CaitlynLynch »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "do a little wrong" by Don Dahler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The title of Do A Little Wrong comes from Shakespeare’s The Merchant Of Venice “To do a great right, do a little wrong.”

After losing his parents at a young age, Kyle Royce has dedicated his life to finding the missing and the lost, those who cannot be found by conventional means. Funding his secretive Royce Foundation from the billion-dollar currency trading firm founded by his uncle, he lives a double life. Outwardly, he’s the epitome of the wealthy playboy, dating a procession of swimsuit models and driving flashy, expensive sports cars. That’s all a cover, though, for his real activities.

The story begins in Brazil, with Kyle and his colleagues reuniting a kidnapped child with his father, and quickly returns to the Foundation’s headquarters in New York. Their next case leads Kyle down a rabbit hole of conspiracies he could never have imagined when he agrees to look for a man everyone believed died when the Twin Towers fell on September 11, 2001. The story builds to a thrilling climax, with plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing along the way, as Kyle pits his wits and his team of skilled operatives against the ultimate enemy.

From the very first line, Don Dahler hooked me into this story. Told in the first person from Kyle’s point of view, I slowly came to understand Kyle’s motivations even while some of his backstory remained an enigma - I’d love to know where he gained his fighting skills, for example. Even though Kyle lives in a world of unimaginable wealth, he comes across as both relatable and likable. With the best of motives, he bends and breaks laws in order to serve the greater good - in other words, doing a little wrong in order to do a great right.

While I found a very few spelling and grammar mistakes in the book, they certainly didn’t distract me from the overall story and indeed would very likely be overlooked by a reader less picky than myself. I’d love to read more of Kyle’s adventures; indeed, I could absolutely visualize this book as a movie or TV show. I imagined Ryan Reynolds in the lead role, though perhaps Don Dahler might envision him differently!

I’d highly recommend Do A Little Wrong to anyone who enjoys a good action thriller; fans of Lee Child’s Jack Reacher series would thoroughly enjoy the read. I have no hesitation in awarding it four out of four stars.

do a little wrong
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CaitlynLynch's review? Post a comment saying so!
Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi »

Mr Don Dahler of this book certainly writes Good! The topic of book is not so unusual, but the way he writes is so! The books is a good descriptive and revealing script, and the life of hero here is interesting. Not only what it happens to him, and how he treats things, but mostly the way!
Hero, aftger losing his paranets starts a double life, which is difficult most of the times to ''compromize''! And although it seems in the beginning, that he chooses the ''easy way'' the way of life of luxury, much money and adventure, the suite of the book shows there's always another side of things. Thus the main message of this book, if we analyze hero and facts in a little philosophic way, is that person and individual are often different things. And one should know a lot, on one's life in order to be able and be entitled to judge acts and behavior.
Surely the turns and twists, give an interesting side of the book, it's all realistic and what can happen in life, and we often drive things in a way, that we don't really wish! But it's destiny some times, to do things, that seems to fit to us, but in reality they don't fit anybody, at least an average person. Yes, we do a little wrong, to do next a little right! Then this shows we learn from our mistakes till we find our definite way in life.
Also the books has scenes that urge and excite our imagination and keep us in suspense. It's absolutely a well written book, that anyone would find interesting and from which one could profit for his future life. The book treats in fact a deep analysis of personality and individuality as said before. We surely congratulate author for his great efforts.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

Don Dahler should seriously be pitching this to a major publishing company. It's good enough and unique enough to grab the imagination. I hope one day to see him at the top of the bestseller charts, where this book belongs.
elle_12
Currently Reading: The Vatican Children
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by elle_12 »

Don dhaler, this book is fascinating and dramatic .. I love how they save the child and reunited with the father .. Good read .
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I have never read Mr. Don Dahler's book before. The story seem very intriguing and promising! I believe I can look forward for this book. Thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Kyle sounds like a more realistic version of Batman; wealthy, flashy billionaire by day, hero by night...and sometimes day, as well. I wasn't too taken with the cover or synopsis, but your review turned me right around, and I'm excited at the prospect of reading this. Thanks for the introduction!
Anne Marie Hanlon Co
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Anne Marie Hanlon Co »

Great review and I love the title and cover!

AMC
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

MsTri wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 21:45 Kyle sounds like a more realistic version of Batman; wealthy, flashy billionaire by day, hero by night...and sometimes day, as well. I wasn't too taken with the cover or synopsis, but your review turned me right around, and I'm excited at the prospect of reading this. Thanks for the introduction!
I love the way you are looking at this...... Batman, yes!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Ooh!! I love the idea of devoting your life to people that other's have abandoned trying to find! What a great idea. Seems like it'd make a great story too. Thanks for the review. I'll look into this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Thomp102
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Thomp102 »

Anything that takes a dive down the conspiratorial rabbit hole gets my attention. Toss in crime or a good thrill and I'm hooked. This sounds like it could be a fantastic read for me and I am more than willing to give this book a shot. "Do A Little Wrong" is definitely on my list.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Comparing it with Lee Child makes me curious enough to give it a try. Thank you for your review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

Sounds like fun! I'm into the whole idea of finding the missing. The playboy stuff sounds a liiiiiiiiittle silly, but it's certainly not a dealbreaker. Great review, very thorough.
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

Wonderful review, love your writing style. Main character presents as smarmy to cover his true altruism? Hooked. Thanks!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

You sold me on reading this book even before you suggested Ryan Reynolds play the main character in the movie. Kind of reminds me of a series done by Lori Foster a few years back that centered on human trafficking.
anosike
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anosike »

very well derived analysis... it takes a good listener like you to make it sweet and clearly brief... i admire this Dear.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”