Official Review: Barren To Change by Maurie Chan'nel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Official Review: Barren To Change by Maurie Chan'nel

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Barren To Change" by Maurie Chan'nel.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, Barren To Change, is written by Maurie Chan’nel. The book has about 92 pages and has each character introduced in separate chapters bearing the characters’ names, and not the usual chapter numbers. The book is written in second person perspective with the characters being indirectly related to one another, as they seem to work or socialize in the same location.

The book starts with the discovery of a dead body in a warehouse that is frequented by crackheads. Harold Means, the detective handling this case, names it Jane Doe, as there are no identification documents on it. What puzzled the detective was that she did not have traces of crack in her blood but had just had a healthy meal. Some characters in this book that are crackheads turn out to have been acquainted with her. When Harold gets close to identifying who Jane Doe could be related to, the book draws the reader to the countdown of New Year, 2018, and when it finally comes, something extraordinary happens to Jane Doe. Her supposed relative who witnesses it collapses in shock.

I liked that this book gives an insight into the lives of crackheads and the risky dealings they get involved in, exposing them to danger. It shows how they make money to survive. This book is quite short and can be read in one sitting. I got drawn to the plot towards the end of the book and started reading it in a hurry to know what would happen next.

I admit that this book was a disappointment to me as I was unable to relate the title, Barren To Change, to the storyline. Just when I was starting to enjoy reading the book, it came to a stop with a cliffhanger. The book has too many punctuation errors, with some quoted speeches having no punctuation marks at all. Most speeches have opening punctuation marks but no closing ones. Others are misplaced, for example, on page 39, “I mean, I’m only here a few times a week, he said panting and out of breath.” The characters in this book are so many that I had to write down their names and what they did, to understand how they were related and acquainted. Very many songs are also quoted, making it boring to read the lyrics. The book uses both present and past tense in the same sentence, for example, ‘D’asia’s thoughts were broken as her phone vibrates with a text.’ Another example is, ‘Jackie held her belly and tells him…’

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I would not rate it lower because the story can be followed and understood. The rating cannot go higher because the book is not professionally edited and has many grammatical errors. Another reason is that the title of the book cannot be related to the storyline.

This book requires professional editing, and when this is done, I would recommend it to those who want a quick read and do not mind a cliffhanger.

Barren To Change
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Okoko's review? Post a comment saying so!
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

I like the books that end in a cliffhanger because they leave some effect behind, in that sense. The murder mystery caught my interest, but evidently this book is much more than that. I hope the book gets its errors right soon, I look forward to reading it.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The plot seem interesting! The idea of using a murder mystery does create suspense, this complements the book. But the errors always destroy a good book. That is something to be concerned about. Thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I like the set up of this book and can see how, when done right, it could really work and sound fresh and unusual (in a good way). As always, it is a shame about the lack of professional editing.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you all for your comments. Indeed this will be an interesting book to read once professional editing is done.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Why do people pay to have books reviewed on this site if they won't bother to pay someone to edit them? It drives me crazy. Thank you for not forgiving all of the punctuation and grammatical errors.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

CommMayo wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 16:35 Why do people pay to have books reviewed on this site if they won't bother to pay someone to edit them? It drives me crazy. Thank you for not forgiving all of the punctuation and grammatical errors.
I have thought this very thing myself, too! Ha-ha. I also wonder if they really think they'll get 4 stars.

As to the story, it sounds like an interesting plot that really should have been better titled.
EDIT: The title nagged me so much that I just looked the book up on Amazon, and the synopsis ends with, "Excuses makes one Barren To Change." While that brings a little clarity, I think "Barren" was the wrong word and wonder if they may have meant "Resistant" or "Impossible". Or even "Difficult."
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

CommMayo wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 16:35 Why do people pay to have books reviewed on this site if they won't bother to pay someone to edit them? It drives me crazy. Thank you for not forgiving all of the punctuation and grammatical errors.
It probably sounds professional to say your book was reviewed by onlinebookclub :lol2:

Thanks for the review Rosemary. An interesting premise that editing (or lack thereof) has done a disservice to. I hope the author will implement your thoughts.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry this book was a disappointment. I hate when you are just starting to get into a story, and it stops! That frustrates me so much! Thanks for persevering. I think I'll stay away from this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Nice review. I am already disliking the book. I don't like to have an overcrowded mind. That is the last thing that any reader would want. From your description of the number of characters, it is like a person being asked to have intimate encounters with a school of 400 students. A huge task. Even heads of school rarely do that! Well, for grammar issues, most of us are victims, hence the need for a professional editor.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

A fiction that explores how crackheads live their lives is not my cup of tea. I'm glad you could find some enjoyment reading this except for the cliffhanger. Too bad about the grammar and punctuation issues. I agree with your rating.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you all for your nice comments. I hope the author will have this book professionally edited to get more readers for it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”