Review by TheGhastlyGrimoire -- Raven's Peak

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheGhastlyGrimoire
Currently Reading: And The Wolf Shall Dwell
Bookshelf Size: 663
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theghastlygrimoire.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by TheGhastlyGrimoire -- Raven's Peak

Post by TheGhastlyGrimoire »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s not very often that I absolutely devour a book and feel the immediate need to continue the series. Raven’s Peak by Lincoln Cole defies the odds. Written with a sense of fantastic urgency, Raven’s Peak is prime reading material for fans of Supernatural. Comprised of a culturally diverse cast of characters and non-stop action, this book has made its way onto my list of favorites.

The story centers on Abigail and Haatim, and they aren’t your average pairing. Abigail is a Hunter and much like Dean Winchester, she’s stubborn, extremely work oriented, and bent on saving her adoptive father. Haatim, on the other hand, is a blogger with a degree in theology. Unexpectedly, their paths cross and, through a cruel twist of fate, Haatim finds himself drawn into a world that, outside of the texts he’s spent his life studying, he didn’t believe existed. Their journey brings them to the small town of Raven’s Peak, where things aren’t what they seem and together, the two find themselves working against time to save those that live in the secluded town. As the story progresses, readers meet a variety of demons, some whose names are more familiar than others.

Plot is a key factor in how I rate books. More importantly, a book that crawls too slowly rarely makes it past my DNF pile. Fortunately, that type of stagnation doesn’t plague Raven’s Peak. Additionally, its characters are dynamic enough to further the story along, rather than dilute the book with forced dialogue and unnatural actions. There are few moments where things tread too closely to cliché, and that’s a relief.

I don’t have much of a gripe with this book, though I do feel the editing toward the end was rushed. Early on, errors were sparse with a few typos and awkward sentences. However, after things climaxed, I encountered numerous editing issues ranging from misspelled words to noun-pronoun disagreement. Because of this, I feel the novel could use another run under the eyes of an editor.

Overall, I found myself extremely pleased with this book. I’m a huge fan of Supernatural and The Dresden Files, so being able to read a book that’s similar to the both of those in its own ways was a fun romp. Because of the numerous errors, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is, however, a book I’d recommend to others who share my interests.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TheGhastlyGrimoire's review? Post a comment saying so!
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

I love the structure of your review. You used your first paragraph to capture your reader, the second to summarize the book, and the remaining paragraphs to discuss your opinions. This set up is optimal for reviews because it allows others to easily decide if a book is for them or not. Books that leave you wanting more to read are the best ones!
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Very nice review. I can tell you really enjoyed it. Your encouraging review really makes this book seem like an appealing read. Thanks for a great review.
TheGhastlyGrimoire
Currently Reading: And The Wolf Shall Dwell
Bookshelf Size: 663
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theghastlygrimoire.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by TheGhastlyGrimoire »

Thank you for the lovely comments! I've actually been writing reviews for a year and a half now; I only recently found this site. I've already delved into the second in the series. Within two hours, I've devoured half of it!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

You really did a great job on the review! Sounds like you are a voracious reader, too! I'll be interested in reading more of your writing.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

I'm glad I'm not the only one itching to read the rest of the series after finishing this book. I'll be keeping an eye out for your reviews - you're a great writer. :)
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I started reading this novel but lost interest. Your review makes me think I should have given it more time.
Great review though!!
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

BEautiful review. I loved the way you articulated yourself. Thank you for writing this. :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”