Official Review: Notice of Death by Genesis Cotterell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Official Review: Notice of Death by Genesis Cotterell

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Notice of Death" by Genesis Cotterell.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Notice of Death by Genesis Cotterell is the third book in The Ryxin Trilogy. It is a murder mystery that follows Private Investigator, Curtis McCoy, and his Assistant PI, Janux Lennan, as they try to investigate the "accident" of a Ryxin woman named Maggie Lavore. If like me, you haven't read the first two books of this series, then you must be wondering about the term Ryxin. Ryxin community consists of the species that migrated from their planet to Earth for survival. Although humans allowed them to take shelter, they never truly accepted their presence. They passed unfair laws and imposed difficult conditions to demean Ryxins. They did not take Ryxin murders very seriously and did not investigate properly; therefore, Ryxin Justice Department and Ryxin Private Investigation Bureau were established. These departments helped them receive justice -- sooner or later.

Anyway, Maggie Lavore supposedly fell off a ferry while returning home from an island. This case was closed by human authorities; however, when Curtis McCoy received a letter from Maggie's friend, Alys Mocelle, things changed. Alys stated in the letter that this was no accident, and she had reasons to believe that Maggie was pushed off the ferry. Recording Alys' statement added one more complication since she was serving her time in the prison for an armed robbery.

The added element of Ryxin species separated Notice of Death from any other ordinary murder mysteries. By mentioning various prejudices against Ryxins, the author made the concept of aliens living with humans quite believable. There is a romantic angle between Curtis and Janux, but they would have to face legal repercussions if they pursued this love interest. This is definitely a very intriguing twist, but unfortunately, I could not feel anything for their situation. Their romantic feelings are not very beautifully written. There was no spark in the words that expressed their feelings. In fact, their dialogues seemed quite animated to me.

I do not know how private investigators address each other, but the repetitive addressing of Janux as Assistant PI (instead of her name) by Curtis put me off every time. I know that the author used this technique to show when Curtis was addressing Janux in work mode, but all it did was lose my interest as a reader.

Since there were many characters in the book and two murder mysteries were going in parallel, Janux's report, summarizing suspects and interrogations, that Curtis asked her to prepare helped me to keep up with the plot. This was definitely a very clever trick of the author. The suspense remained until the end and the story developed in an intriguing way.

According to me, Notice of Death by Genesis Cotterell would appeal to the readers who wish to read a quick murder mystery. The inclusion of an alien species would prove to be an added perk to them. If it weren't for the animated conversations, I would have awarded the book with the perfect 4 rating; however, to me, it's very important to make a connection with the characters. Therefore, I would rate the book 2 out of 4 stars.

Notice of Death
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Anki_Real_Reviews's review? Post a comment saying so!
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

The plot sounds interesting. Too bad on the weird romance dialogue. Good review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well it's too bad about that the dialogue doesn't seem right. I also dislike when an author repeats the character's title over and again. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I'm always in for a good murder mystery but I'll pass on this one. Having a quick murder mystery beats the point.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

This sounds like a very rote and typical "aliens meet humans" novel, which is a shame considering there is still so much of that sub-genre to explore. One question: you keep saying the dialogue is "animated." That should be a good thing; animated dialogue sounds far more appealing than boring, subdued dialogue. Not sure what your complaint about "animated" dialogue would be.
Jordan Cryme
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jordan Cryme »

I like the whole idea that this murder mystery includes aliens and explores how demeaning people can actually be when they want to. The plot sounds interesting and its a bit disappointing to see the book get two stars because of just that. Perhaps better characters would've made a world of difference.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”