Official Review: The Meal of Fortune by Philip Brady

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Official Review: The Meal of Fortune by Philip Brady

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Meal of Fortune" by Philip Brady.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Meal of Fortune by Philip Brady takes the reader into the realm of arms dealing, espionage and TV cookery. Dermot Jack is a failing celebrity agent who might have one chance to retain his reputation when a mysterious Russian oligarch visits London and asks the agent to represent his daughter. Anna Preston is a disaffected MI5 office who gets a chance to resurrect her career. They both will now find their paths crossing again as they are catapulted into a world of deceit and treachery. What will happen when the Meal of Fortune finally stops spinning?

The narrative takes the reader to a world of mystery and intrigue and keeps the reader guessing what the next step will be. I felt that this was a beautiful story that amalgamated elements of comedy with serious fiction. The author has managed to produce a unique narrative that keeps the reader wanting more. The plot of the book is quite strong and the reader will often be astounded by how the story takes a turn. I certainly felt that there were some elements in the plot that could’ve been more refined and it could’ve been a bit more intense at some points in the narrative, but overall I found it to be a thrilling read. This story is for adults who love exhilarating tales and are fans of this genre.

When it comes to the characterisation in the story, the author doesn’t disappoint. I felt that the characters in this story were strong and intriguing. I also felt that the author managed to bring together the stories of different characters to form a beautiful narrative that was often character-driven. I loved the central characters and found them to be very human in how they were projected. The author has refrained from creating one-dimensional, idealistic characters who only see life in black and white. This idiosyncratic quality of the author has brought a lot of colour and exuberance into the narrative.

While this element is a bit sidelined in stories of this genre, the setting seems to be very important when attempting to understand the overall story. The settings delineated in this work seem to project the dominant emotions and turmoil that the character is going through at that point, and this makes the narrative unique.

I also felt that the writing style of the author was absolutely wonderful. From the very beginning, the author has the reader hooked. It is difficult to put away this book until the very end, despite the fact that it is a bit long. For all these reasons, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Like I said, the plot of the book weakened in some places, and for that reason, I have taken off a point. I do strongly recommend this book to all adults who love this genre.

The Meal of Fortune
View: on Bookshelves

Like HouseOfAtticus's review? Post a comment saying so!
zeinab badawy
Currently Reading: Blade Forged In Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by zeinab badawy »

really long book but it seems attractive
mminpeace
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mminpeace »

The meal of fortunes by Philip Brady is a nice and book that will help reader to gain much more knowledge.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

What I like most about this book is the cover Thumbs up to the illustrator. The storyline doesn't appeal to me though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Meyerhe
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meyerhe.html
Latest Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Post by Meyerhe »

This seems like an interesting tale that piques my curiosity just based off of your review. Unfortunately, I don't think this is one of those stories that could keep my interest until the end. Thank you for taking the time to write this and sharing your thoughts and opinions.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The title is definitely unique. I thought about reading this one myself. I love good characters. The plot sounds a little here and there, but it's worth a try. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
-cloudy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by -cloudy »

Interesting concept. I'll definitely put this on my 'To Read' list. Thank you!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”