Official Review: For Luna by Don Abma

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: For Luna by Don Abma

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "For Luna" by Don Abma.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For Luna is a fast paced, action packed, crime thriller by Don Abma. As the first book in the Chase Adams series, it has everything from Russian mobsters and corruption, to redemption and romance.

Chase has changed his career after a severe injury, from professional hockey player to successful private investigator. Pushed on by the memory of his sister, Luna, he focuses on helping those who have succumbed to the streets. However, what starts out as a night out on the town with his friends, gets turned upside down when he meets Lisa. Lisa desperately needs Chase´s help to save her sister, Julie, who has become entangled with the Russian mob.

As Chase is drawn further into the dark underbelly of the Russian mafia, he starts to realize how far their connections actually go. Everywhere he turns there is deceit and corruption. Utilizing his connections with the FBI, he must decide on his own who he can really trust, not only with his own life but Lisa´s as well.

Written in third person and based in New York, the story takes the reader all over the city. There is some good imagery used here with the dark mazes of the FBI mimicking the never-ending web of the Russian mafia, catching Chase at every turn.

The story focuses on Chase and Lisa, with the characters of Julie, and FBI contacts, Matt and Fontaine, playing a lesser role. Chase comes across as a good-hearted man, helping those lost on the street to drugs, prostitution, and abuse. He is driven by a sense of guilt from not being there to help his sister and tries to redeem himself through his work. Lisa comes across as a strong-minded woman, who would do absolutely anything to save her sister. The secondary characters are much more secretive in their motives and loyalties, which provides a nice contrast to the open honesty of Chase and Lisa.

The story itself was fast paced and it keeps the reader guessing right until the end. There were some serious subjects incorporated into the writing, such as drug abuse, murder, torture, and prostitution. While there were a couple of gory scenes, the author didn’t let the story get too caught up in graphic descriptions, which I appreciated.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of punctuation errors. Also, at some times the sentences weren’t structured as well as they could have been, with unnecessary repetition of words. Both of these things impeded the overall flow of the story. Due to this, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, as it would benefit from another edit. I would recommend this story to any who like fast-paced crime fiction, and who aren’t affected by gory scenes. I find that in a lot of crime fiction I am able to pick the ending and I was pleasantly surprised that this was not the case here, especially as this is Don Abma´s debut novel. A well-deserved congratulation to the author.

For Luna
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The cover made me think that this was YA. :) This sounds like something right up my alley, as it really reminds me of Tom Clancy's books. I might have to pass, though, considering the structural errors you pointed out. I hope the author releases a new edition.
Boypnet1
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Boypnet1 »

The review explains it all there is nothing again to talk about one of the best book.thanks to the author
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This is one up my alley. I hope Don Abma is able to improve on his Chase as the series goes along. I am only too happy to meet new PI's.

Chase is a great name for a hero on the run! Luna reminds me of the defunct TV detective series Moonlighting.

Thanks for the action-packed review, Micoleon13!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Thank you for the detailed review. had high hopes for this one until I learned that it contains multiple errors.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Professional hockey player to private investigator is quite the career change! I agree that this book sounds interesting but the errors are a turn off. Thanks for the nice review!
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

The two main characters seem very well developed and quite relatable. I do not like gory stories, so it's good to know the author skillfully depicted the scenes without too much graphic descriptions. Thanks for the review!
Meyerhe
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meyerhe.html
Latest Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Post by Meyerhe »

This sounds like a read I would like to try out even if it does have some grammar issues. Thanks for taking the time to write a review and sharing your thoughts and opinions.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about all the errors. I'm glad that the author doesn't go into too much detail with the graphic scenes. It sounds like it has quite a few elements. That makes for a wide reader base. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Crime fiction is not my cup of tea. But it's good you enjoyed it. It is a very comprehensive review. Thanks
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

I find it hard to stick with books when there are numerous editing issues; I always, always notice them. If I'm line editing in my head it doesn't matter how explosive the plot is, I'm not going to be invested.

Thanks for the great review!
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Sounds like a enjoyable, if disposable story. Doesn't sound like there's much to set it apart from similar stories but that's not necessarily a bad thing - sometimes we just want an easy read!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”