Official Review: The Locusts Are Crying by Cliff Seiber

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Official Review: The Locusts Are Crying by Cliff Seiber

Post by kwahu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Locusts Are Crying" by Cliff Seiber.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bienvenue Parish, Louisiana is a small town where racial insults, prostitution, corruption, drug trafficking and public intimidation have become the order of the day. In his book The Locusts are Crying, Cliff Seiber sails with the reader in his pursuit to discover the source of the town's rot and zero-in on the perpetrators of the crimes.

Cliff Seiber is a Texan by birth and a south Louisianan by choice whose newspaper career began early in fourth grade. He has over 50 years of professional experience as a publisher, general manager, editor, reporter and columnist for newspapers in Louisiana, Texas and Colorado.

This C/T/M/H novel features Trevor Eden as the protagonist. Trevor's marriage and career are precariously hanging owing to his addiction to alcohol; which he is struggling to keep under control. When Dooby Babineaux is murdered in cold-blood, Trevor is enthused to rise above the intimidation by Sheriff Rougeau and Chief Johnny Rocket to restore sanity in Bienvenue Parish as well as redeem his reputation. To succeed in his mission, Trevor must get his publisher Zachary Winnfield's consent; who unfortunately dissuades him from doing the expose. However, Trevor Eden meets a mysterious Magnolia who encourages him to proceed with the mission. Can Trevor manage to bring everything to the light?

Anyone would work hard to redeem an ailing reputation. It is no different for Trevor Eden as he fights to get his family value him once more, while the author makes it easy for the reader to connect with him both as a career and family man. It is intriguing as Trevor makes the daring move to investigate the sheriff's department aware that any slight mistake would have his career going down the drain. The writing style used is simple and makes the reading easy and enjoyable despite the somewhat unclear rural Texas dialect that would pop up once in a while.

Racism, prostitution, drug trafficking and corruption are among the themes declared in the book. These issues arise in nearly every community and are rarely addressed. It is uplifting to read a book that seeks to bring solutions to a community submerged in such callous actions. However, I must admit that I found it difficult to relate the story to the title. I feel like the author should have chosen a better topic to flow with the themes.

There were few errors I came across though they weren't that disruptive. For example, the author wrote "…he sat the small dining table…," "I expected to see to see," "…I am going to swat your over the head…," and the word "to" spelled "tor". I recommend this book to all readers and specifically to investigative journalists. Overall I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars owing to the aforementioned flaws.

The Locusts Are Crying
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kwahu's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Lovely review. A book that should be read by investigative journalists is one I'm interested in. The storyline is also quite catchy.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

Thank you Mercy Bolo for reading. You will really enjoy the book.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I always like books where the protagonist is also flawed. Sounds like an interesting read...thank you for such a nice write up.
djordjesvonja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djordjesvonja.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by djordjesvonja »

Nice rewiew, interesting and transparent. This themes that the book describes are the councer of every society, i will surely try to find some time to read this book.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Sounds like a great book. I enjoy books that show the real struggle of families. It reminds me of some of the things I have been through with family members in my life and makes me have a renewed appreciation for what I have now.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. It sounds like something I might look at in the future, but the themes are a little heavy for me right now. Thanks for all the great information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Your review has brought out many layers of the book to light. The character's moral tug of war would be relatable to people who are in journalism and would have to go through such feelings themselves. I feel drawn to read this novel. Thank you for the review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

A recovering alcoholic with a precariously faltering marriage and career, decides to investigate the sheriff's department? Sounds like a very interesting story. Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

The Locusts Are Crying is a metaphor for something I have yet to find out in the book. I don't seem to find literally some fields planted to crops or swarms of locusts in the story. The crimes permeating the parish is legion, e.g., prostitution, drug trafficking, murder, alcoholism, and others which has to be addressed, and an investigative journalist attempts to expose all these. The storyline is fascinating. Thank you for your informative review.
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

The investigative journalist here seem to have plenty of puzzles to solve. the issues of drug trafficking and prostitution are taking the world in an abyss and need to be addressed.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”