Official Review: The Locusts Are Crying by Cliff Seiber

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
kwahu
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading: The Mighty Blue Saves Christmas
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: "The Locusts Are Crying" by Cliff Seiber
fav_author_id: 73488

Official Review: The Locusts Are Crying by Cliff Seiber

Post by kwahu » 09 Jan 2018, 12:42

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Locusts Are Crying" by Cliff Seiber.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bienvenue Parish, Louisiana is a small town where racial insults, prostitution, corruption, drug trafficking and public intimidation have become the order of the day. In his book The Locusts are Crying, Cliff Seiber sails with the reader in his pursuit to discover the source of the town's rot and zero-in on the perpetrators of the crimes.

Cliff Seiber is a Texan by birth and a south Louisianan by choice whose newspaper career began early in fourth grade. He has over 50 years of professional experience as a publisher, general manager, editor, reporter and columnist for newspapers in Louisiana, Texas and Colorado.

This C/T/M/H novel features Trevor Eden as the protagonist. Trevor's marriage and career are precariously hanging owing to his addiction to alcohol; which he is struggling to keep under control. When Dooby Babineaux is murdered in cold-blood, Trevor is enthused to rise above the intimidation by Sheriff Rougeau and Chief Johnny Rocket to restore sanity in Bienvenue Parish as well as redeem his reputation. To succeed in his mission, Trevor must get his publisher Zachary Winnfield's consent; who unfortunately dissuades him from doing the expose. However, Trevor Eden meets a mysterious Magnolia who encourages him to proceed with the mission. Can Trevor manage to bring everything to the light?

Anyone would work hard to redeem an ailing reputation. It is no different for Trevor Eden as he fights to get his family value him once more, while the author makes it easy for the reader to connect with him both as a career and family man. It is intriguing as Trevor makes the daring move to investigate the sheriff's department aware that any slight mistake would have his career going down the drain. The writing style used is simple and makes the reading easy and enjoyable despite the somewhat unclear rural Texas dialect that would pop up once in a while.

Racism, prostitution, drug trafficking and corruption are among the themes declared in the book. These issues arise in nearly every community and are rarely addressed. It is uplifting to read a book that seeks to bring solutions to a community submerged in such callous actions. However, I must admit that I found it difficult to relate the story to the title. I feel like the author should have chosen a better topic to flow with the themes.

There were few errors I came across though they weren't that disruptive. For example, the author wrote "…he sat the small dining table…," "I expected to see to see," "…I am going to swat your over the head…," and the word "to" spelled "tor". I recommend this book to all readers and specifically to investigative journalists. Overall I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars owing to the aforementioned flaws.

The Locusts Are Crying
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kwahu's review? Post a comment saying so!

Mercy Bolo
2018 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 19
Favorite Book: The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: "When Fire Met Rain" by Henry Reign

Post by Mercy Bolo » 12 Jan 2018, 10:59

Lovely review. A book that should be read by investigative journalists is one I'm interested in. The storyline is also quite catchy.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

kwahu
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading: The Mighty Blue Saves Christmas
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: "The Locusts Are Crying" by Cliff Seiber
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu » 12 Jan 2018, 11:29

Thank you Mercy Bolo for reading. You will really enjoy the book.

CommMayo
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading: The Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: "Evie's Kitchen "A Collection of My Family Recipes"" by Evelyn Rothwell
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 12 Jan 2018, 16:27

I always like books where the protagonist is also flawed. Sounds like an interesting read...thank you for such a nice write up.

djordjesvonja
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 3
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djordjesvonja.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by djordjesvonja » 14 Jan 2018, 06:59

Nice rewiew, interesting and transparent. This themes that the book describes are the councer of every society, i will surely try to find some time to read this book.

Mjgarrison
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjgarrison.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David

Post by Mjgarrison » 16 Jan 2018, 11:30

Sounds like a great book. I enjoy books that show the real struggle of families. It reminds me of some of the things I have been through with family members in my life and makes me have a renewed appreciation for what I have now.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: "The Grace Emancipation" by Charlotte Hawkins

Post by kandscreeley » 16 Jan 2018, 11:48

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. It sounds like something I might look at in the future, but the themes are a little heavy for me right now. Thanks for all the great information, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

ReviewerDiksha
2017 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 3
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading: The Time Traveler's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane

Post by ReviewerDiksha » 16 Jan 2018, 22:24

Your review has brought out many layers of the book to light. The character's moral tug of war would be relatable to people who are in journalism and would have to go through such feelings themselves. I feel drawn to read this novel. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”