Official Review: Sherlock Holmes And The Nine-Dragon Sigil'

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Sherlock Holmes And The Nine-Dragon Sigil'

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sherlock Holmes And The Nine-Dragon Sigil'" by Tim Symonds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sherlock Holmes is a character known virtually to every reader, whose adventures have permeated our culture through books, television shows, and movies. Any author who chooses to continue his story must work within the personality framework initially established by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of Holmes. Tim Symonds, the author of Sherlock Holmes and the Nine-Dragon Sigil, does so successfully, and delivers a riveting and memorable tale featuring the iconic duo - Homes and Watson.

The story begins some time after Holmes’ retirement, and like the narratives by Doyle, is narrated by Watson in a succinct case-note format. The author successfully captures Watson’s narrative tone, as well as his brevity, and uses terminology and phrasing appropriate to the time period. Watson is summoned by a Chinese general to take a perilous journey across China, to conduct research and provide guidance for the establishment of an Imperial Army medical company. Finally feeling like the star of the show, Watson proudly accepts the challenge and sets off on the lengthy trip. He is appropriately dismayed when, thousands of miles from all the familiarities of home, he is confronted by his old friend Holmes, who was apparently sent to China on a mission of his own. Together they team up to investigate rumors of an assassination plot among the Empress Dowager’s courts, and uncover a mystery much more sinister than they anticipated.

As one would expect from a book about Sherlock Holmes, this is a story full of suspense and mystery, and laden with plot twists. I do not want to diminish a reader’s experience by giving away details prematurely, so I will simply state that this was a well-planned and expertly-crafted detective story. There were clues spaced throughout the narrative that came together into a satisfying conclusion, tying up loose ends and answering the lingering questions a reader may have.

The story itself was a unique blend of fact and fiction, drawing on historical accounts of the real Empress Dowager Cixi of China. Though I had very little knowledge of historical China prior to reading this book, the author incorporated his research in a way that made it both understandable and intriguing. In fact, I was interested enough in the character of the Empress Dowager that I did some independent reading about her life, and I believe the author captured the essence of her individuality admirably.

Though I did notice a handful of minor grammatical errors (such as missing commas), they were very minor and did not detract from the experience. The only part of this novel that did not sit well with me was Watson’s tendency to constantly reference past cases that he and Holmes had worked on, by their full case title. It did not seem realistic that someone would fully write out the name of the case (such as “The Hound of Baskervilles”) each time he mentioned one (which was quite a bit) if he was otherwise being so brief with his details. I realize that the author was helping to add context by jogging the reader’s memory to details from other Sherlock Holmes stories, but I wish this had been done in a way that flowed more naturally and did not seem so abrupt and referential. Nonetheless, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, as it was an engaging and true-to-the-original reimagining of a classic character.

I personally own all of the Sherlock Holmes original stories, but for a long time avoided those written by authors other than Doyle himself, as I did not want to have to reconcile any inconsistencies in the characters. I can confidently recommend this book to others who hold the originals high in their esteem, as the author does a superb job in honoring Doyle’s creation. In addition, I believe this would be a fine introductory book for those who have never read any Sherlock Holmes previously, since it does not require any prior knowledge. In fact, the very factor that irritated me (Watson’s frequent recall of past cases, as mentioned above), is likely to improve the experience of someone new to the adventures of this particular detective.

Sherlock Holmes And The Nine-Dragon Sigil'
View: on Bookshelves

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I never really got into Sherlock Holmes for some reason. For those who enjoyed that, this sounds like a great continuation. Thanks for all the information. I might have to try the original sometime. Then I would consider this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
djordjesvonja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djordjesvonja.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by djordjesvonja »

I was delighted with the original Doyles books and i am realy sceptical about this book, but your rewiew is encouraging. Maybe i will read. Nice rewiew, great job.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Jorja
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jorja »

I've watched the tv series of Sherlock Holmes, but reading a book is more fascinating. This story fairly describe each situation and plot of the story. I will continue reading it up to my desire.
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

I have such strong reservations when it comes to revisiting classic characters written by anyone other than the originator, but your stunningly well-written review might actually convince me to check out this book. Maybe.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I'm more of a Poirot fan myself, but I started my foray into detective novels with Sherlock Holmes. As I'm not familiar with any of Mr. Symonds' works, I'm a bit wary about how Holmes has fared in this reimagining. Your review is an encouragement that it was done well. Thanks for this information.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I'm yet to dive into any of Doyle's works but I've always been fascinated by Sherlock Holmes. This sounds like a great book though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
phemmaj
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by phemmaj »

I have never read any sherlock homes. But as per this reviewer " it doesn't require any prior knowledge". I will like to grab a copy of this book. The review is encouraging.
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

I love Sherlock Holmes. Like the reviewer, I'm wary of pastiches, as they're often not quite right. However, when they're good they're a real treat; after all, A.C.D. isn't going to be writing any more stories for us, now is he? I'll be putting this one on my list.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

It sounds like the author remains true to the canon depiction of Holmes and Watson.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I grew up with Sherlock books, but I never liked anything that any other author took over. I am skeptical about this one, but you make it sound ok. Thank you for your review.
Mark Ronald
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mark Ronald »

the review is quite simple and good, and I would like to grab a copy of the book to get more of the fascinating story
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I love Sherlock Holmes, and I'm currently reading one that, like this book, was written by another author, so I'll have to pick this one up. Great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”