Official Review: A Tribal Rumble by Peter Riva

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: A Tribal Rumble by Peter Riva

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Tribal Rumble" by Peter Riva.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I read in the blurb that A Tribal Rumble – A Safari Campfire Tale by Peter Riva had not only Africa, elephants, and conservation, but also a style similar to Alexander McCall Smith, there was no way that I was turning this book down. Luckily, what unfolded was a wonderful story, full of hope and bravery, set amongst the beautiful backdrop of East Africa.

Mbunu is a revered tracker in the safari circuit, having hired his services out to tourists over the years in order to financially support his village. Situated outside a National Park, his tribe, the Liangulu, has firm traditions intertwining with the local wildlife, especially the elephants. Mbunu has an incredible bond with them and he uses this, with the help of Carol and Tom, a couple from a rescue center, to save a herd. When Carol sees Mbunu´s way with the elephants, she´s enthralled, and Mbunu finds a trusted and loyal friend.

However, not all is peaceful for the isolated Liangulu. When poachers and corruption threaten not only the local elephant herds but the tribe´s village as well, Mbunu faces a heartbreaking decision. He is the only one who can save his people, but at what cost?

Written in third person, the style is such that it wraps around the reader, bringing them into the very heart of the story to become part of Africa itself. Set in Kenya, there are some serious topics broached here, not only of the devastating effects of illegal poaching on the animals themselves but on those people who depend on them. It also touches on the all-encompassing issue of corruption within governments, officials, and politicians, where people are only after money and power with disregard to those who suffer because of it.

The characters are wonderfully written and the author has made them so realistic that you almost expect them to walk off the page. Mbunu, as the main character, walks a fine line between tribal traditions and modern day life. Good hearted and loyal, he has an incredible relationship with the elephants which comes across as almost magical. Carol and Tom are, to some extent, portrayed as a typical white, ex-pat couple who´ve made East Africa their home, but they are so much more. While Carol is all heart and puts her love towards rescued elephant calves, Tom initially comes across as brash and overbearing, especially when compared to Mbunu. Tom´s acceptance of a new viewpoint and his relationship with Carol shows a nice character development.

The story starts and ends around a campfire, giving a lovely touch to the book. It gives it a feeling of a verbally told story, such is the way of the Liangulu. It also provides a nice feeling of closure and the accompanying wistfulness and hope that the story was actually true.

Sadly, there were numerous errors throughout the book which would easily be picked up by another edit. While it definitely didn’t hinder my enjoyment of the book in the slightest, I reluctantly can only give 3 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the magical way the author is able to write made me reluctant to finish it. This is definitely for any fan of Alexander McCall Smith, and those who love elephants will find their heartstrings pulled while reading it. I wish that there were more books out there like this and I look forward to more from this author.

A Tribal Rumble
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Thank you for the detailed review. Despite the fact that the text itself has multiple errors, at least the cover is beautiful. This book could help me learn more about my own country.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This sounds like an interesting read. I've only read one book by Alexander McCall Smith so far but I enjoyed it and plan on reading more in the future, so this book sounds like it might be for me. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It would be fascinating to read about Mbunu, the Liangulu tribe, and the struggle to protect the environment. Elephants are such majestic creatures.

Thanks, Micoleon13, for the engaging review!
sserunkuma222
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sserunkuma222 »

A Tribal Rumble by Peter Riva really touched my heart the way animals were displaced cause it leads to lose of life
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

You made it sound so fascinating! I particularly loved that the characters could almost "walk out of the page." The errors are unfortunate, though. I hope the author acts on this feedback.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

I loved you description of this book! Thanks for the review!
sserunkuma222
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sserunkuma222 »

mbunu was confident man to protect his tribemates as well as the ephants so the book is pretty interesting on my side
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the numerous errors, but I do love that the characters are so interesting. The campfire touch is nice as well. Thanks for the lovely review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like an excellently written book about themes such as elephant conservation and corruption in a beautiful East African setting. It's always a shame when otherwise great books are marred by too many errors.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”