Official Review: Dead Snupe by Spikes Donovan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: Dead Snupe by Spikes Donovan

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dead Snupe" by Spikes Donovan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written for teens and young adults, I found the overarching idea in Dead Snupe by Spikes Donovan to be a thrilling concept. In short, this is about a dystopian future in which the government essentially kidnaps children who have "committed crimes" in order to exploit them. Such children are taken to a secret government prison called "Long Wait." On the outside, no one knows Long Wait even exists. Children who have been taken there are proclaimed dead or missing to the world. Once inside Long Wait, children are educated and given work assignments. Most of the Long Wait children have either unwittingly committed "treason" or evidenced themselves as geniuses.

Told in first person narrative, the speaker throughout the book is a child who has been assigned the position of head chef. His job is managing the cafeteria. The chef has learned to use his job to great advantage, often fulfilling special food requests in exchange for favors or information. When the chef meets April, he uses his influence to help her avoid being bullied. Another child, Bobby Griffin, was kidnapped due to genius programming abilities. Once at Long Wait, Bobby is put to work on a top secret government project.

This is the story of four children (Bobby, the chef, April, and a boy named Elton) trying to survive in an environment of extreme government control. Key survival tools include making allies, knowing what to say or not say to whom, and covering for others when necessary. An urgency creeps into the story line when the children discover what really happens when children reach the magic age of 30 and disappear. If they wish to avoid an undesirable fate, they must find a way of escape.

Dead Snupe is a fresh concept among existing dystopian literature. I found the plot intriguing and the pace somewhat fast. Character development goes beyond what is expected in a novella. Although the writing style is fairly easy to read, the constant starting of sentences with prepositions and frequent use of fragments was disturbing to me personally. Even when writing for a younger audience, I feel that the best writing will still follow standard grammatical rules.

Due to a strong plot and strong characters, I would give Dead Snupe a top rating of 4 stars, but I am reducing the overall rating to 3 out of 4 stars because of the writing style. Although this is advertised on Amazon as being for a teen and young adult audience, I feel that it would be most enjoyed by younger teens. I would be confident to recommend this book to that age group.

Dead Snupe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

A govt. Kidnapping children... Awesome plot. I like the way you manipulated the whole review. Do check my review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Children...who have committed crimes? What age range are we talking about here? It IS a different concept from your common dystopian fare, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I have so many questions! Buuuut your heads-up about grammar is a deal-breaker for me. If this gets resolved in a newer edition, then I might give this a try.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like the cover. The plot sounds interesting as well. I enjoy a nice simple read sometimes, so I might have to look into this one. I wonder how the children escape? Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

The plot kind of reminds me of a book, which I loved, I read not too long ago. "Long Wait" seems like an adequate name for the prison based on the children's circumstances. I might give it a try. Thank you for the review.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This sounds like a nice, simple read. So much of YA writing is dystopian, that I sometimes find myself wishing to read anything but, however this sounds like it could be a fresh take on the idea.
Aisha91
Favorite Book: Incognito
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha91.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aisha91 »

The plot of the story depicts a unique concept of how government can manipulate kids and mold them according to its interests. The story line leaves an amazing unsolved mystery of what happens to those who disappear and how they can choose to escape from such a harsh situation. I find this plot quite intriguing and mind boggling! My next read indeed!
Bankscarta
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bankscarta »

Teen haunted reactions....sweet
greenstripedgiraffe

inaramid wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 09:35 Children...who have committed crimes? What age range are we talking about here? It IS a different concept from your common dystopian fare, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I have so many questions! Buuuut your heads-up about grammar is a deal-breaker for me. If this gets resolved in a newer edition, then I might give this a try.
I agree, this was definitely a fresh (and immensely frightening) idea! I do hope the author tightens the writing style :)
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 11:10 I like the cover. The plot sounds interesting as well. I enjoy a nice simple read sometimes, so I might have to look into this one. I wonder how the children escape? Thanks for the information.
HA! you'll have to read to find out any escape details :lol2: Thanks for your comments.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review. Good cover. Interesting story, I think I will be adding to my shelf.
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 11:10 I like the cover. The plot sounds interesting as well. I enjoy a nice simple read sometimes, so I might have to look into this one. I wonder how the children escape? Thanks for the information.
Thanks for your comments :) How DO they escape? You'll have to read it to find out... :lol2:
Readerhistory1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Readerhistory1 »

Sounds interesting. Thanks.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The storyline is interesting. I like watching movies and TV series with the same theme. The writing style could use some improvement though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
greenstripedgiraffe

Mercy Bolo wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 06:21 The storyline is interesting. I like watching movies and TV series with the same theme. The writing style could use some improvement though.
Throughout, I thought it was written more for screenplay than a book!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”