Official Review: An Empty Swing by N. J. Hanson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Official Review: An Empty Swing by N. J. Hanson

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Empty Swing" by N. J. Hanson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Luis is a simple kid. His world revolves around his mother and his books. The only problem in his life is a bulky, no-brainer boy- Butch. Luis is one of the kids who are bullied by Butch, on a regular basis. One day, trying to escape the torture that Butch intends to inflict on him, Luis finds himself taking shelter in a playground. There, he meets Alice, a girl who had been missing for ten years. What turns his world upside down is the fact that Alice is a ghost. Another thing that he finds out is that she is not the only one haunting the playground. While there are kids like Alice, who want to help people and seek ways to move on from this world, there are others who are not so good. Some of them are adamant to seek revenge against the people who killed them. With the help of Alice’s sister, Serena, Luis tries to uncover the identity of the people behind the mystery of the missing kids.

Written from the point of views of Luis and Serena, An Empty Swing by N.J Hanson is a paranormal thriller. This book tackles with various themes that are relevant in case of children. Child abuse and bullying form the better part of it. It also shows how different people react to the losses in their lives. With Serena, we see how her father falls into depression and alcoholism after losing Alice, how this affects Serena and what ultimately shapes her personality. With Luis, the author has painted a different picture. The need for closure is another theme that forms a major part of it.

The characters of this book are the best thing about it. They are all very different from one another and, also, quite realistic. I liked the understanding of Hanson towards the complex issue of a bully’s mentality. Butch’s character development was surprising, but also realistic at the same time. The behavior of the ghosts was another thing that I liked. It was all very rational, and nothing was made out to be over the top, or unrealistic. The chemistry between the characters worked well, and their reactions towards various situations seemed practical.

The grammatical errors were one of the things that put me off. They were scattered throughout the book and hindered the flow of reading. The writing style is another thing that needs work. Though it was simple and made the book a quick read, it was too simple for an avid reader’s taste. I wouldn’t say that it was bad. It was moderate and, at times, mundane. In thriller novels, moderate doesn’t work out. Due to this, the story lost its grip. It was easy for me to put down this book in the middle of a chapter. A gripping story doesn’t allow this. Predictability was another factor that became a let-down. Some of the important revelations of the story were easily foreseeable. Perhaps, a different approach of storytelling could solve all these problems.

Owing to its simple writing style, teenagers and novice readers would make a better audience for An Empty Swing. There are some things in the book that can be a bit too much, so watch out for that. If you are looking for some light reading, this can be a viable option. My rating for this book is 2 out of 4 stars. Its intentions were in the right place, but the execution turned out to be sloppy. Maybe, it didn’t turn out better for me because I had expected it to be scarier. The people who can set aside their expectations might appreciate it better than I did.

An Empty Swing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReviewerDiksha's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Grammatical errors always "kick the bucket", it makes even the best book look cheap. I'm sorry about that I started to like this book after I read the summary. The review is good the reviewer has expressed her thoughts honestly, but as she pointed out that it is book that does not have grip or create suspense, ill pass this book. But thank you for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry that the execution turned out so poorly. It's nice that the characters were some well. Perhaps this can be salvaged after all, then! It does have an intriguing premise. Everyone loves a little ghost in their story!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rifat
Currently Reading: Dragon Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rifat »

pretty nice for kids who loves to investigate anything hope they will love it
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This seems like a good story that's not told very well. Even the cover and the title spell mystery. I hope the author will find the formula that will make the book work. (Who knows this will eventually reap success? It reminds me of "The Sixth Sense," my favorite ghost story of all time.)

Thanks, ReviewerDiksha, for the incisive review!
mommynorthrop08
Currently Reading: Beast house
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by mommynorthrop08 »

Shame about the errors. Always drive me nuts. Love ghost stories but dont think I could get over the bad writing.
ShivaniS

Post by ShivaniS »

It has been a while since I read a ghost story. The cover seems very interesting. I look forward to reading it.
PratibhaG

Post by PratibhaG »

The grammatical mistakes are a let down for me too. Thank you for the honest review.
NeerajS

Post by NeerajS »

I am not really into reading horror. Ibdid like your review. Good job
RKS

Post by RKS »

The issues of child abuse and dealing with a loss seem heavy for a horror book. I'd like to see how the author has handled this. Thank you for the review.
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

I always look forward to a good horror story. This one seems multi dimensional. Thank you for the review.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

The simple writing style may have been intended to target young children? I have not read a sample of the text, nor the story itself, so it is premature for me to pass judgment, but the theme and the storyline seem appealing. If I have time, I might skim past the errors and yet enjoy the book. Thanks for sharing the review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”