Official Review: A Doomsday Killing by Glenn Ickler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Official Review: A Doomsday Killing by Glenn Ickler

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Doomsday Killing" by Glenn Ickler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, A Doomsday Killing, by Glenn Ickler, is fiction written in the protagonist’s perspective. It has about 304 pages with a descriptive writing style.

Mitch, a Daily Dispatch news reporter, and his lawyer wife, Martha, are watching news on the television when their attention is drawn to a lady claiming that the second coming of our Lord and Savior, the rapture, would happen on Easter Sunday, two weeks away. She is Sister Rebekah, the leader of The Faithful United for Beatification at the Second Coming of Our Blessed Lord and Savior. Mitch sympathizes with the religion reporter who will be assigned the job of taking up her story because the name of her group is a mouthful. Little does he know that this reporter will be checking in sick, and he will be given the assignment. He shortens this name to The Faithful United. Mitch faces wrath from the group when he reports on their secrets and ends up being called ‘The Blasphemer’ by the members. Mysterious deaths of prophets in this group see Mitch in the middle of solving mysteries that are meant for the Police. He narrowly escapes death in this endeavor.

The protagonist, Mitch, is likeable, and he makes reading this book very interesting with his choice of words and sense of humor. I did not want to put this book down and would have read it in one sitting were it not for the many pages. We get an insight into the life of a news reporter, and how it can be both fun and dangerous. I learned that it was very easy to increase the flock of religious groups by attracting people with the imminence of the rapture and preaching fires of hell.

What I did not like about this book was the use of the name Brother Jonah where it was supposed to be Brother Noah, on page 223. The same happened with the use of MGH instead of MHG that stands for Magnum Herald Group. The author seemed to use these abbreviations interchangeably as they appear in many pages.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars because I got confused when the above mentioned names and abbreviations were used erroneously. I found minor errors of omitted words. The formatting was good and the story flowed quite well. I cannot rate it lower because the book was very entertaining.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys comedy. Those who would like to understand what news reporters do would also enjoy it.

A Doomsday Killing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Okoko's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Wonderful review. From the name of the name of that 'religious' organization alone, it is definitely not one I would even consider joining. The shady activity going on there confirms my suspicions.
This is a book that people should read before they make a decision to join such organizations.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That does sound like quite a mouthful. It sounds like an interesting story. It's a shame when author's mix up names and abbreviations like that. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you Mercy and kandscreeley for reading and leaving comments. Hope you'll read the book and enjoy the comedy!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Good review and yes I'm curious about the job scope of news reporters.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you ParadoxicalWoman for reading and commenting. I learned a lot about news reporters. Hope you will read it!
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The title made me immediately think of cults and whatnot. The plot does not really draw me, although I'm curious how humorous the entire thing could be.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I agree with you inaramid. I thought the same when I saw the title but it is far from it. Mitch is a comedian and made this book enjoyable. Thanks for your comments.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sounds like my kind of read! I have a BA in Communications and worked as a writer for two different, local newspapers when I still lived in Ohio, so reads with anyone in the field immediately peak my interest. The plot itself also seems to be right up my alley, so this is definitely going on my "Must Read" shelf. Thanks for the introduction!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Oh my this is big! Religion plus mystery plus thriller plus historical fact. What more do you want!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you MsTri and Sahani. MsTri, good to know that you have worked as a writer for local newspapers. This is a book for you and i know you will enjoy it.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review! The plot sounds interesting and I like that there is an injection of humor. The mix-ups with the names is certainly annoying. I noticed the same thing in a book I reviewed and it was very distracting. The author made the mistake of referring to a minor character by two different, similar names. At first, I thought it was a different character and had to reread a previous section to realize it was the same person. Very annoying.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I agree with you bookowlie on how annoying name mix-up can be. The book is still worth reading even though it has these mistakes. It is one of those books you will not want to put down. Thanks for your comments!
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

nice review, i enjoyed reading it. This book sound interesting to me. I like to read comedy book as well. It is a nice try.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you pinklover for reading and leaving a comment. Good to know that you like comedy and are looking forward to reading this book. Hope you will enjoy reading it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”