Official Review: Where the River Runs Deep by Lynne Handy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 400
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Sleepwalker
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: A yard full of Wonder by Jean McCarthy
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Where the River Runs Deep by Lynne Handy

Post by MarisaRose » 08 Dec 2017, 16:57

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Where the River Runs Deep" by Lynne Handy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Where the River Runs Deep by Lynne Handy is a mystery set in the small North Carolina town of Cherapee. Maria, a non-native, decides to spend her summer in Cherapee participating in a writer’s retreat. Her decision is not only spurred by the urging of a close friend; upon learning of her husband’s infidelity, Maria is ready for an escape. Cherapee reunites Maria with an old college friend, Bo, who has traveled to the quaint southern town to investigate a series of murders involving the town’s prominent family. Little does Maria know that she will soon be pulled into the investigation, and her idea of a calm summer filled with writing will fall to the wayside.

There is a great deal to like about this book, but the author’s articulate and expressive writing style was by far my favorite element. Told in the first person perspective, the author quickly creates an emotional connection between Maria, the narrator, and the reader. The intensity of Maria’s anxiety as she deals with unfamiliar surroundings, the potential loss of her marriage, meeting new people, and the general eeriness of Cherapee radiate off each page. Further, Maria is a poet, and her narration is simply poetic. The connection between the author’s written word and the main character is so clear, one can’t help but think Maria is a real person.

Although there are a few mysteries surrounding the murder of various subjects, the main mystery of this story involves Cherapee and its unpleasant history. When I finished the novel, at first I felt parts of the murder mystery were lacking: there was no way for the reader to solve the murders based on the information provided. However, when I contemplated the story as a whole, it dawned on me that the more important mystery, the mystery surrounding this narrow-minded southern town, was not only more interesting, but also detectable as the plot progressed. Therefore, I thought the author was incredibly successful in delivering an intriguing and page-turning mystery.

Lastly, I greatly enjoyed that Maria is not a typical protagonist for a mystery; she is not a detective and she has no experience in the field. Maria is portrayed as a normal person experiencing personal upheaval and looking for an escape. Yet her escape leads her through significantly more disorder than she could have imagined, and the character adequately displays appropriate emotions in these circumstances. As an outsider, Maria has a keen perspective of Cherapee, and even more so given her relationship with one of its natives, Amen, a prisoner she met while teaching a prison poetry class. Her help in solving the mystery of the town and the murders was plausible. I was fascinated by the intricate web the author wove between Maria, her past, her personal circumstances, and her growth during her time in Cherapee.

Where the River Runs Deep proved to be engaging, emotional and thought-provoking. My only complaint is that I wish I could have spent more time with Maria and her poetic narrative. This book succeeds as a character study, a cultural reflection, and, of course, as a mystery, which is why I award it 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy non-procedural mysteries and thrillers with a strong female narrator.

Where the River Runs Deep
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson

ParadoxicalWoman
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading: Across the Street and around the world
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradoxicalwoman.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by ParadoxicalWoman » 09 Dec 2017, 07:53

What an insightful review! This brought to my remembrance to my previous reading which is Bag of Bones one of Stephen King‘s book. I can sense there is a little replica between these 2 stories. I am sure that I will enjoy reading this story.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 400
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Sleepwalker
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: A yard full of Wonder by Jean McCarthy

Post by MarisaRose » 09 Dec 2017, 09:38

ParadoxicalWoman wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 07:53
What an insightful review! This brought to my remembrance to my previous reading which is Bag of Bones one of Stephen King‘s book. I can sense there is a little replica between these 2 stories. I am sure that I will enjoy reading this story.
Thank you for commenting! I too have read Bag of Bones, and though there may be some similarities in setting and tone, the author's prose really sets this one apart.
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson

Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum » 10 Dec 2017, 06:58

Wow! A girl without a detective background solving a mystery really sounds interesting. I think that I am gonna give it a try. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Mercy Bolo
2018 Reading Goal: 144
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: The World in Chaos by Chiman Salih

Post by Mercy Bolo » 10 Dec 2017, 07:48

Maria sounds like an amazing character. Solving a mystery is surely a unique way to deal with heartbreak.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

kandscreeley
Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 75
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Invisible Martyrs by Farhana Qazi

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Dec 2017, 08:21

I love that Maria is a normal person. Sounds like an interesting story with some great writing. Nice review. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

inaramid
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Virgin Cat by Clive Lilwall

Post by inaramid » 10 Dec 2017, 12:07

I liked your analysis of Maria's character and how you pointed out how she's not the typical detective you'd find in many books. That's the part I find the most intriguing about this. I'm definitely putting this on my must-read list. Thank you!

powergirl
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 60

Post by powergirl » 14 Dec 2017, 14:57

A good story about murder,treachery,romance and race relations!!!
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 320
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Dream happy be great by Gary Krutz PhD

Post by bookowlie » 14 Dec 2017, 21:39

What a wonderful review of what sounds like a great book! I like that you first thought the mystery parts were lacking and, after thinking about it more, you had a different perspective. I find that it's hard to stop thinking about a really good book, long after finishing the last page. :)
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: White Jaguar by Preben Orman
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 15 Dec 2017, 10:35

Wow sounds revolutionary! The twist of murder and mystery adds credit to this well structured book.
Thank you for the review!
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are :techie-studyingbrown: - Mason Cooley

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 88
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 98
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading: Champions of Time
Bookshelf Size: 467
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Lunch Money by Roger M. Cullen
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 16 Dec 2017, 16:05

I love strong female protagonists. The overall storyline sounds like it would me up at night, trying to get to the end.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.

hrwheeler
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by hrwheeler » 16 Dec 2017, 18:08

Great review, thank you, looking forward to reading it.

spookkyfoxx
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spookkyfoxx.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by spookkyfoxx » 08 Jan 2018, 14:16

As someone who hated growing up in a "narrow-minded southern town", I love the idea of this book! I will definitely have to check it out, thanks for the great review!!

CalHull
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calhull.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by CalHull » 10 Jan 2018, 20:34

I love books where the setting is almost a character in itself, and from your review it seems like Cherapee fits that bill, so I’m probably going to give this book a try.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”