Official Review: Hard Place by Douglas Stewart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Hard Place by Douglas Stewart

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hard Place" by Douglas Stewart.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hard Place is the first book in the Detective Inspector Todd “Ratso” Holtom crime mystery series by Douglas Stewart. I have already read the second book, Dead Fix, and as I enjoyed it, I picked up Hard Place as well to complete the series.

While Dead Fix deals with a gang of sports match-fixers, Hard Place is the story where Ratso and his team are first introduced. Several years ago, Ratso’s nephew died of a drug overdose. Since then, Ratso has been haunted by his need to bring down the entire Albanian criminal network which supplied the drugs to the young people all over Europe. So far nobody could pin anything on the “untouchable” drug baron Boris Zandro. When Ratso thought he finally got a head start in his investigation, his main lead disappeared, so Ratso and his team are now back to square one.

Ratso is forced to find new threads to follow along in his quest to bring down the Albanians. As the squad tracks down new leads, a clearer picture of the international gang’s operation emerges, one that takes the investigation team across several countries and continents, from the UK to various Mediterranean countries like Cyprus, Turkey, and Spain, and all the way to the USA and the Bahamas. Each chapter is written with a different location in mind, and the points of view alternate between various characters, both good and bad, although Ratso does take center stage for the most part.

Compared to the second book in the series, Hard Place has a stronger focus on character development. We learn more about Ratso, sergeants Tosh Watson and Jock Strang, and the rest of the officers working the case. Each character is quite believable, even if not always likable. We get to experience Ratso’s self-doubt when things don’t go as planned and his excitement when the pieces finally fall into place. The story is suspenseful, relatively straight-forward and fast-paced. The action really picks up in the second half of the book, when all the leads converge into an explosive conclusion.

Something I enjoyed about this book (and in the author’s second one as well) is the constant banter between the main characters at the police station. There is a sense of friendship and camaraderie that gives you warm fuzzies. Most team meetings end on a high note or at least with a chuckle or two. Also, the team members often meet at a pub or another after work and have many laughs along with the beers. Many other books in the genre take themselves too seriously, and the main characters are either loners or can’t suffer the rest of their team. Not here. It was really a breath of fresh air to see this particular British team be as close-knit as it was.

The author is not one to skimp on the details. For example, I thoroughly enjoyed the chapter starting with Ratso’s drive to Miami. I have never been to the US, so I delighted in the author’s description of Ratso’s unnerving highway journey. “Even by day you needed the skills and courage of an F1 driver to survive” made me chuckle.

Douglas Stewart's writing is strong and it flows smoothly across the 450 pages of the well-written and properly edited book. The only issues I found were three or four periods missing at the end of a few chapters, an extra quotation mark, and a missing comma. These are such minor issues that they do not influence my decision to give Hard Place 4 out of 4 stars.

Overall, I recommend the book to lovers of crime-mystery novels and thrillers; however, having read both books, I do have a warning: make sure to read Hard Place before picking up the next book, Dead Fix. Many things will become clearer if you read the Ratso series in order.

Hard Place
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

Crime-mystery is my favorite genre. Thanks for giving a detailed review about the book.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I wonder what happened to the main lead. A good detective story is one I truly appreciate. Because this book has minimal errors, that's a plus for me.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I also enjoy a good banner between the characters. It's interesting you ended up reading the second book first. Glad you enjoyed this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Not my fav genre, but this is a great review. I will be recommending this to my friends though.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I love the cover. This seems like a promising book for all crime, thriller, mystery, detective novel fans. Thank you for such an informative review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

The cover of the book best fits its' genres of being a crime-mystery novel and thriller. Thank you for your good review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This book sounds right up my alley. It's interesting that you read the second book first; what an interesting perspective that must have given you of the first book! Thanks for the review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This book is definitely my cup of tea! I dislike all crime but have a special loathing for drug-dealers. That they make oodles of money by destroying lives (and mostly young lives, too!) is beyond evil. I hope Ratso catches them all!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Nice! The point where the reviewer said about the perspective approach, like the story said in different angles took my interest.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
powergirl
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by powergirl »

An enjoyable and fascinating novel that drew into the world of drugs and international gangs.
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! It's always nice to find a review book that is part of a series you previously read and enjoyed. I had to laugh at the quote about driving on Miami roads. I have had that type of experience in several areas in the US!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
djordjesvonja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djordjesvonja.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by djordjesvonja »

Detailed and great rewiew. Crime mistery is one of my favourite genres. I like the books with great detectives and surely this two books mentioned in your rewiew are about them. This two book goes to my bookshelves.
All the best!
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book that deals with a gang of sports match-fixer sounds intriguing. It is great that the book has a stronger focus on character development, and one learns more about Ratso and his team. A good banner between the characters is certainly a bonus. I am not sure it is for me though, due to the change in perspectives and the drugs angle, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I am not a big fan of the crime mystery genre, but I found this book to be a refreshing reset. I loved the amazing plot and the superb onlinebook.org review that represented the book perfectly.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”