Official Review: Dangerous Journey by Clark Selby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Dangerous Journey by Clark Selby

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dangerous Journey" by Clark Selby.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Drs. Chance Taylor and Charles Brown are planning to enter a road race from Moscow to Bejing. Before they even arrive, though, the two nuclear scientists are captured by Al-Qaeda. Al-Sadr, a well-known terrorist, orders them to make suitcase bombs on fear of death. The two scientists are believed to be dead after the ship they were travelling on sunk. However, a conspiracy theorist who works for the CIA, Hank, stumbles across a plot to bring nuclear bombs to the US. He belives the doctors have been captured and forced to use their skills to assemble weapons of mass destruction. Will Hank be able to prove that this isn't just another of his wild theories? Will Chance and Charles be rescued? Will the plot to bomb the US be stopped?

Dangerous Journey by Clark Selby is a novel in the Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Horror genre. It's just shy of 150 pages (depending on the format of the book.) There is a definite military thrust to it, but it isn't so over the top as to not be enjoyed by those that know nothing of the armed forces.

The plot of the story is very intriguing, although not extremely unique. The author sprinkles in a bit of romance here and there, just to keep things interesting. I also enjoyed some of the local characters that the author uses to advance the story. For example, a band of gypsies in Romania help to locate the two doctors. They even tell the fortune of one of the agents searching for the scientists. This added something a little bit different as well as keeping the story from being too intense.

Sadly, that's the end of the good news. There was quite a bit that I found that could use some improvement in this novel. The very first thing I noticed was the sheer number of grammatical errors littering the pages. From using its instead of it's or there instead of they're, to missing words, to changing tenses in the middle of a sentence, to switching from third person to first or second person, to missing quotation marks. You name it, I saw it. This was a huge distraction for me, and it definitely took away from what could have been a good plot. Let me provide an example of how the book reads. “As Chance and Charles sit waiting for any information on the minivan. Charles was visible upset, he told Chance they got to find those last two bombs, do you realize how much damage they could do and how many people could be killed and wounded?”

There was also an issue with repetition within the story. For the most part, readers are not idiots. There is no need to say the same thing three ways. This lengthens the story unnecessarily and takes away from other details that need to be included. We would be told that there was a helicopter incoming. Then one of the characters would state that there was a helicopter coming. Then, we would be told that there was a sound of the helicopter blades coming from a distance. Finally, the helicopter would land. It was just a bit too much, especially as it kept occuring.

The passage of time in this novel was also very unclear for me. The novel is (mostly) in the third person perspective, and each chapter would be of a different character. In one chapter and for one character, weeks would pass. The next chapter would consist of another character and a couple of days would pass. None of the chapters were related to each other timewise. Therefore, I really don't know exactly how everything fit together. Maybe there are some that would be okay with this, but it irritated me. I want to be able to see the big picture and piece everything together. That was impossible here.

Unfortunately, I have to rate Dangerous Journey 1 out of 4 stars. There is potential in this novel. There are parts of the story that are interesting, and I like the thought behind the novel. Hopefully with a good editor and a number of rewrites, I can change my score. For now, though, I can't recommend this book for anyone.

Dangerous Journey
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Although the premise sounds intriguing, it sounds like this one needs a lot of work before it's ready to be read. Glad you were able to make it through this one. Thanks for the insight!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Marisa. It has potential. I hope the author can rework a few things here and there and make this great.
—Neil Gaiman
kingslexasoh1000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119

Post by kingslexasoh1000 »

Haven't reviewed this book.
:tiphat:
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Wow, such a shame the piecing together of this one wasn't neatly done. The story has a strong premise and there are intriguing angles to explore. Imagine reading all manner of grammatical errors, that must have been a chore! Thank goodness you were able to pull through. I'd like to check it out when it's been retouched. Thanks for the detailed review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Vickie! The grammatical errors were quite something, unfortunately... It's too bad really.
—Neil Gaiman
Mpruett-09
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mpruett-09.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Mpruett-09 »

This sounds like it has potential for a great book. It's sad about all the errors. If it were written better I would add it to my list to be read.

Very informative review, thank you.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Marivic18
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marivic18 »

This book is a very interesting one. Also it is a perfect book for those who loves history about our great armies. I can add it to the lists of books that I want to have.
Excellent job.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I agree that this book has potentials. Too bad the grammatical errors ruined most of the book given by your poor rating. Thank you for such informative review despite the errors.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

Looks like the author didn't put much effort in editing. Thanks for your review.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This story has so much untapped potential. Editing and rewriting will elevate this story to the next level.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks for commenting everyone. It definitely needs some editing done.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It sounds like this is a very unclear book with a lot of grammatical errors. Hopefully the author will have the book properly edited like you suggested.

Great Review! 🎆
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The plot of the story is very intriguing, although not extremely unique.
My thoughts exactly! With all the errors you cited, I don't think I'd find this one interesting.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks for commenting all.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”