Official Review: A Life Before by Julien Ayotte

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Damisparkles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damisparkles.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Re: Official Review: A Life Before by Julien Ayotte

Post by Damisparkles »

In as much as I am an ardent crime and fiction lover,and I already anticipate my time with the book, I won't concur with a 4 out of 4 star rating of a book that won't still appear to every class of reader. Thanks for the well documented review.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

When I read the official synopsis I was weary of the multiple questions presented and curious as to how the author would tie them all together. Between the sample chapters and this review, I feel confident the author did an excellent job of providing multiple suspenseful questions while being able to wrap them up in a nice little package by the end. Thank you for the forewarning regarding the frustration with the timeline and the religiously controversial topic. Sounds reminiscent of Dan Brown. Controversial topics can make for more intrigue though. Great review.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

I love crime thrill novels and cant wait to read this. The nightmares aspect sounds interesting. It does not sound like the violence is too intense so thats good!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Thanks for a great review. The book is full of suspense and intrigues.
I would wish to know if the murderers were finally apprehended.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

I like that this mystery doesn’t fall into the typical tropes of the genre. I’m intrigued by the cold case aspects of this story, too. Glad you enjoyed it so much!
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

Very interesting indeed! While reading the sample I wasn’t sure if it was fiction or non-fiction, at first, as events were described in a factual manner. By the time I finished the sample I was wide-eyed, intrigued and keen to continue. Your comments about the book not being for everyone due to exploration of religious-type concepts is helpful. I am fascinated to discover how the author deals with this aspect and what resolution is offered.
Thanks for your review.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Very thorough and honest review! Sounds like an interesting story but I don't see myself reading this one. Nonetheless, I'm happy you had a great read!
nrgibbymunguia
Currently Reading: Career Courage
Bookshelf Size: 2284

Post by nrgibbymunguia »

Thank you for your book review! I appreciated that you gave me enough information to entice me, but left it just general enough so that I'm compelled to seek it out. You provided caveats to potential readers, which was helpful (not that any of them turned me away!!!) in a book review. Now that you've alerted me to the fact that there is discussion of a controversial religious concept I'll have something to research upon completion of the book. I am a very curious person and love it when my interest is piqued and I have new topics to explore.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I’m vaguely interested in this book, in part because I’m curious about the dreams that the woman is having. I’m not sure if I’ll read it because I don’t typicall care for this genre but we’ll see. Thanks for writing a review!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Samantha Collins is a twenty-two-year-old elementary education student from Northeastern University in Boston. She has been having recurring and extremely disturbing nightmares about a woman being attacked since she was thirteen years old. Her parents sought for medical advice and Samantha attended a dream clinic. The doctor attributed the nightmares to something Samantha probably had read or from watching a television program and assured them that the nightmares would likely stop. They never did. Unbeknownst to Samantha and her family, a tragedy occurred in Boston shortly before she was born in New Jersey.
The summary hooks me up. I had series of nights with horrible nightmares too. I'm glad they had stopped troubling me anymore. I'll read this book soon. Thanks for the detailed review.
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

I love a book with an unpredicable ending. The plot told alternately between the past and the present is not a problem for me, it’s the controversial religious concept that is. I will put A life before into my list :D
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1903
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes

Post by Surabhi Rani »

In the 'Official Review: A life Before', by Julien Ayotte, the reviewer's comment on the ending of the story, is very helpful for readers.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Wow, great review! I thoroughly enjoyed the sample but only having read a few pages I was wondering what the story would amount to. Your reference to Erin Brockovich makes it even more compelling! Thanks!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
MKNoel
Currently Reading: Ship Breaker
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by MKNoel »

I am absolutely addicted to anything that splits between past and present to put together a puzzle. I will definitely add this story to my reading list.

Great review!
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

Great review! I love the story of Erin Brockovich and from reading the sample of this book, I can see how the two would be similar. I definitely will be putting this on my to-read shelf!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”