Official Review: A Life Before by Julien Ayotte

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: A Life Before by Julien Ayotte

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Life Before" by Julien Ayotte.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Life Before is a mind-boggling crime novel written by Julien Ayotte.

Samantha Collins is a twenty-two-year-old elementary education student from Northeastern University in Boston. She has been having recurring and extremely disturbing nightmares about a woman being attacked since she was thirteen years old. Her parents sought for medical advice and Samantha attended a dream clinic. The doctor attributed the nightmares to something Samantha probably had read or from watching a television program and assured them that the nightmares would likely stop. They never did. Unbeknownst to Samantha and her family, a tragedy occurred in Boston shortly before she was born in New Jersey.

In 1989, personal injury lawyer Mike Strange took a case involving a wrongful death claim by a widow whose husband died of lung cancer. Suspiciously, eleven more people died of the same disease in a span of only five years. All of them lived in Rock Ridge Common Condominium Complex. After taking the case against the developer of the luxury condominium, Mike’s wife was shot to death and his paralegal nearly died in a car accident.

This is an interesting, intriguing and suspenseful book that will keep the readers glued on every page. It actually reminds me of the movie Erin Brockovich which I enjoyed a lot. Told in the third person perspective, the story is a mixture of crime, courtroom drama, a controversial religious concept and romance. The author begins by introducing the major players in the story and builds the suspense by alternating between the past and the present events. The strategy leads the readers to speculate and anticipate for all the pieces of the story to converge. Moreover, the author successfully keeps the book unpredictable until the last few pages.

Furthermore, both main and minor characters are well-developed making it easy to visualize them as real live persons. Dialogues are fitting for both the protagonists and the antagonists. I had a hard time choosing my favorite character between Bonnie Stevens, the smart, brave and endearing paralegal and Alex Brien, the understanding, loving and supportive boyfriend. In addition, though the courtroom scenes are not as intense as those of John Grisham’s novels, I enjoyed them a lot and the stake out, though not heart-stopping, was fun. Finally, though some readers may not agree with me, I find the ending quite liberating and therefore satisfying.

However, the narration told alternately between the past and the present may be confusing, or even frustrating, to other readers. Moreover, the subject of the story pertaining to a controversial religious concept may be frowned upon by skeptics. Personally, I took it as a very good choice of subject for fiction. It is interesting and intriguing and may lead some readers to research on the subject.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is well written, mind-boggling, intriguing and suspenseful. I recommend it to fans of crime, thriller and mystery novels. Violent scenes may not be suitable for very young readers while profound religious concept, court proceedings and references to radiation may be too ambiguous for young adult audience.

A Life Before
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Such a great review. Though I am not a fan of violent scenes. Thanks for your honesty.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Hildah Mose wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 02:30 Such a great review. Though I am not a fan of violent scenes. Thanks for your honesty.
Thank you very much :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like something I might enjoy. I liked the movie Erin Brokovich, though I probably would have liked to read it better. I might look into this. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 10:21 This sounds like something I might enjoy. I liked the movie Erin Brokovich, though I probably would have liked to read it better. I might look into this. Thanks!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I liked Erin Brockovich too. Some people poison others and themselves unknowingly. We ought to be more aware of how to care for our environment. The life we save may be our own.

Thanks for the engaging review, kimmyschemy06! This book has courtroom drama, mystery and crime, my favorite reads.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 21:09 I liked Erin Brockovich too. Some people poison others and themselves unknowingly. We ought to be more aware of how to care for our environment. The life we save may be our own.

Thanks for the engaging review, kimmyschemy06! This book has courtroom drama, mystery and crime, my favorite reads.
Thank you. It's an enjoyable book :)
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Suspenseful plot, well-developed characters, and Grisham-like courtroom drama? I'm sold! But--but--but--controversial religious content? Hmm. Wait a second. That worries me a little.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

inaramid wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 10:02 Suspenseful plot, well-developed characters, and Grisham-like courtroom drama? I'm sold! But--but--but--controversial religious content? Hmm. Wait a second. That worries me a little.
Doesn't that sound intriguing? :)
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sounds like quite an intriguing read; I wasn't particularly drawn to this based on the cover or title, but obviously I was curious enough to click. Well, I'm so glad I did because this sounds just like my kind of story. Thanks for the introduction!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

MsTri wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 22:26 Sounds like quite an intriguing read; I wasn't particularly drawn to this based on the cover or title, but obviously I was curious enough to click. Well, I'm so glad I did because this sounds just like my kind of story. Thanks for the introduction!
Quite intriguing indeed :)
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I'm a fan of novels by John Grisham and Michael Connely. So, this book is a yes to me.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Janegw
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading: The Yoke
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Janegw »

:) I am in love with this book ,I would read it tie and time again,good suspense too
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Wow.! This is interesting. I wonder how Samantha has visions of an incident that occurred before she was born.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 03:01 I'm a fan of novels by John Grisham and Michael Connely. So, this book is a yes to me.
I hope you get a chance to read it :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”