Secrets Come Home By Samantha Price

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Secrets Come Home By Samantha Price

Post by Birdlady1950 »

Ettie Smith Amish Mysteries Book 1

STORY-LINE SECRETS COME HOME BY SAMANTHA PRICE:

Ettie Smith inherited a house when her friend Agatha died. During repairs, a body's discovered under the house. A body which has been there many years. When identified, the man is Agatha's ex-fiance. The police name Agatha as the murderer. Ettie's determined to clear her friend's name. Her old friend, Detective Crowley, has retired and the new detective doesn't care for Ettie nosing into his investigation. What Ettie finds surprises the Amish Community; to everyone's dismay secrets and crimes come to light. My mystery book reviews of Secrets Come Home follows.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, DEVELOPMENT:

In Secrets Come Home, Samantha Price created an Amish mystery filled with secrets, lies, and crime. Secrets never stay hidden, and the lies needed to sustain the secrets have a way of coming undone; as Ettie stated: secrets come home.

"Oh! What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive"

The plot filled with twists and turns kept me on the edge of my seat as Price took me on a journey of discovery, pain, murder, and grief. The twists and turns just kept coming in this book. I would think Ettie had found the murderer and Price would introduce another plot twist. Samantha Price brought the multi-plots threads together skillfully. As a result, creating an intriguing mystery.

With a cast of suspects and reasons to kill Horace, Price held the who, what, why, and when, close to her chest. As a result, Price crafted a tantalizing mystery. I found the pacing perfect and Price's prose descriptive. I love reading Amish stories as they give me insight into the Amish way of life. Also, I have found Amish stories are clean without swear words or sex. That said, Price faced head-on a part of life which affects a lot of teens. As well as, the consequences which result. In Secrets Come Home, I discovered Amish communities have crime the same as the rest of us. I also thought the Amish community in this book did not seem as strict as some Amish; this enabled me to better relate to the characters.

I loved Ettie's character. She's determined, compassionate, and smart, yet appears to be nothing but a toddling little old- lady. Her relationship with Detective Kelly is stained as he doesn't want Ettie interfering with his investigation. Although indubitably not a carbon copy of Detective Crowley, I felt as the storyline progressed he warmed to Ettie. Also, I hope Price plans to give Ada a book. Ada is Ettie's sidekick in Secrets Come Home and a likable character who desires happiness.

MY OPINION:

I found Secrets Come Home a terrific mystery filled with suspense, intrigue, and multi-plot lines which include twists and turns. Price's characters are believable and realistic with pacing which is smooth and steady. Samantha Price‘s writing flows well, and the premise is fresh and original. The storyline in Secrets Come Home focus’ on the murder mystery and the characters, instead of the religious aspects of the Amish religion. I did not find any editing errors in this book.

Secrets Come Home is clean, well-written, and well-developed. As a result, this book's suitable for anyone who likes a good mystery. I loved Secrets Come Home and would not hesitate to buy this book for myself or a friend.

SECRETS COME HOME RECOMMENDATION: STARS 4

ALSO, PLEASE NOTE:

Additionally, I borrowed this book from ----------------and received a copy from the author. I chose to review the book with honest mystery book reviews voluntarily. Lastly, book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion. Therefore, all book reviews online and on my blog, are my opinions. Also, no one influences my book reviews.
Attachments
51BXS0oNFjL.jpg
51BXS0oNFjL.jpg (59.86 KiB) Viewed 246 times

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”