Official Review: The Alter by Joel Knox

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Official Review: The Alter by Joel Knox

Post by kwahu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Alter" by Joel Knox.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Alter by Joel Knox is a C/T/M/H novel that grips the reader's mind from the first flip of the page with its mind-boggling plot twists. Determined to walk in his father's footsteps, James chooses to be a CIA field agent in order to make his father proud. However, he is disappointed when his career is ended for lack of the necessary field skills. Consequently, James finds himself behind a computer desk for five years in the cyber security department and ends up being skilful at using computers.

One day, James is granted a break from his computer desk to pursue what he loved most, working as a field agent. Apparently, a mole in the CIA is said to be leaking Intel to the Russians rendering the CIA's missions impossible on various battlegrounds and James has to be deployed as the security overwatch.

James watched grotesquely from his new surveillance station in London as the CIA agents were ambushed, shot dead and only one remained. As he walked out to save Elizabeth, he too was shot dead. Extraordinarily, James wakes up the next day and realizes he has another self; a bloodthirsty monster (The Alter) full of vengeance. With the CIA plans crumbled, and the blame placed squarely on him, James finds himself on the run when the CIA decides to hunt him down having conspired that he is the mole.

In this CIA thriller, the author delivers a spellbinding description of events that kept me flipping a page after another to grasp every bit of information. The narrative is woven around romance, conspiracies, disloyalty, and corruption, with different plot settings that see the reader's mind travelling through various cities ecstatically. I liked how the book explains the mystery behind Alters and how the human in whom they inhabit can keep the Alter's powers under control. This allowed me to associate with James, making the whole scene feel like it was real.

The author made sure that the reader would stay at the edge of the seat tracking the story's protagonist (James) as he heroically exposed high ranked corrupt CIA officials responsible for the mess in his life, and those of other CIA agents who possess the same superhuman gift as his. With the simple writing style the author uses, reading the book was made easy and it didn't take me long to finish.

Personally, I felt the book ended on a cliffhanger. Just after Jones was convicted of corruption and illicit blackmail, the novel ended as if there will be a sequel. Moreover, there were a number of grammar errors I came across. For example, the author wrote "why do you keeping saying that," "I thought we were both were, really," "gradually making his was toward the red circle on his map," and the use of "if" instead of "it". Though these errors couldn't deter me from reading, I have to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars since I can't award it 3.5 stars. I recommend the novel to people who love action-packed books; however, the presence of gory scenes may be disturbing to some readers.

The Alter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kwahu's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

This is a great review! It sounds like an interesting, suspenseful book. I love that it (seemingly) has a Jekyll-and-Hyde-ish aspect of it. I'll have to go check out the sample!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sounds like an interesting book in my favorite genre and I especially like the dual-personalities aspect. This one is going on my Amazon Christmas WishList, now! Thanks for the introduction.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I'm not sure what to think about this one as he seemingly comes back from the dead. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rachel1992
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rachel1992 »

Re: Official Review: The Alter by Joel Knox
Interesting one. Thanks for the review
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

I love harsh and gripping reads with terse language, so this sounds like a good book, though the spelling errors sound off-putting.
MirceaM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MirceaM »

Super. Interesting.
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

Sounds like a great thriller. It would strike 4 stars if properly edited.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Such an enthusiastic review. These kinds of stories aren't my cup of tea. Glad you enjoyed it though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I think the gory details would put me off this book but I like the plot.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”