Review of 1989

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Patrícia Gomes
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patr-cia-gomes.html
Latest Review: La hoja de ruta fiscal y financiera para los españoles en EE.UU. by Peter Dougherty

Review of 1989

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "1989" by James E. Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Imagine you find your husband murdered one day, and on the terrible scene, you find the sentence “A penny for your thoughts" without further explanation. Well, unfortunately, that’s exactly what happens to Nicole Jones, an ambitious and curious lawyer who now has to find out who would do this to her husband Marcus and why. This Modus Operandi is familiar to the people of her city, so it should be easy to find the murderer, right? Not exactly. It happens that the person who was found guilty and imprisoned for murders of this kind and with the same MO died in his cell thirty years ago. Are we in the presence of a copycat? Will Detective Mike Allen help her solve this mystery? And above all, did Samuel Johnson get imprisoned for murders he didn’t commit? Read 1989 by James E. Smith Jr. to find out.

I must admit, I am always looking forward to a book with this kind of mysterious plot. From the beginning, it is obvious that not everything is what it seems, and everyone is very suspicious and untrustworthy. However, the author managed to create a perfect atmosphere between logic, tension, and the unknown. Every single character has its quirks, and the plot twists are very interesting, so it was a great read.

Usually, when I read a thriller, a horror book, or a mystery, I easily catch the murderer within the first half of the book, either because it is not the obvious person or because something is fishy about a certain character. I have to say that that didn’t happen at all in this book. Because everyone is so suspicious and sketchy, I would easily switch from one suspect to another, making it impossible for me to discover the killer.

With that being said, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. Unfortunately, I did find a few errors here and there, and the ending seemed a bit overwhelming, as the last chapter, even though enlightening, was a very harsh summary of every single loose string in this book. After all, we are talking about several murders, and therefore, every single one of them should be a bit more developed and puzzled. Nevertheless, it is still an incredible book, and I would highly recommend it to any thriller or mystery enthusiast who is up for a challenge.

View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yin Jiang
Currently Reading: The Undercover Economist Strikes Back
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yin-jiang.html
Latest Review: Sister B by David Charles Hart

Post by Yin Jiang »

Wow, this sounds like an incredible book. I do enjoy a little mystery novel myself, although I read it more for entertainment rather than to try and identify the killer myself. I look forward to reading this! Thank you for your review.
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

I think it is an interesting book. I expect it to be filled with suspense and unexpected events, providing an enjoyable reading experience for mystery and crime enthusiasts, especially those who enjoy analyzing characters and uncovering hidden secrets.
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

I will read it over the weekend. I actually adore crime and mystery novels and movies. Best regards.
Sandre Lamar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Sandre Lamar »

"1989" by James E. Smith, delivers a gripping mystery filled with suspense and unpredictable twists. The intricate plot kept me guessing until the end, with every character adding depth to the suspenseful atmosphere. A must-read for mystery lovers seeking an engrossing and challenging mystery.
Slippy Spectrum
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slippy-spectrum.html
Latest Review: Sister B by David Charles Hart

Post by Slippy Spectrum »

Wow, this review has definitely captured my interest in the book "1989" by James E. Smith Jr. The mysterious plot of a copycat killer, combined with the unpredictable twists and suspicious characters, has me intrigued. As someone who enjoys thrillers and mysteries, I appreciate the author's ability to keep the identity of the murderer a secret until the end. Although there were some errors and the ending felt slightly rushed, overall, this sounds like a captivating read. I would give it a solid 4 out of 5 stars. Unpredictable plot twists, kept me guessing.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”