Written In Blood By Layton Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Written In Blood By Layton Green

Post by Birdlady1950 »

STORY-LINE WRITTEN IN BLOOD BY LAYTON GREEN:

In Written In Blood, Detective Joe "Preach" Everson, is back in his hometown of Creekville, N. C. After several breakdowns and the trauma of his last investigation in Atlanta, Preach needs to refuel and recoup. Preach never suspected the bohemian town of Creekville would be the sitting for several brutal murders with literary connections. Beginning with the killing of the local bookstore owner in a scene taken from Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, Preach is in for a roller coaster ride.

Ariana Hale, an employee of the bookstore, law student, and bibliophile, helps Preach with the literary connections. As the murders continue, time is running for Preach to solve these deaths, as well as, his and Ariana's life. My book reviews of Written In Blood follows.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, DEVELOPMENT:

Layton Green created a police procedural which will knock your socks off. With characters which are full-bodied, believable, and well-developed, Layton Green packed this book with a whirlwind of action, people, and relationships. I found the premise intriguing, and the action nonstop as Green led me through this investigation. Green created the typical small town which could be located anywhere in America. Under the small town facade, the reader finds greed, corruption, crime, deviance, and murder. To all appearances, Creedville is the perfect community until you dig under the surface and the scum floats to the top.

Detective Joe "Preach" Everson's character will fascinate the reader. From preacher to prison chaplain to detective, Joe "Preach" Everson's life has been one of turmoil and pain; he thought he had seen the worse man could offer. Hoping to recoup and restore in Creekville, Preach finds himself in the middle of multi-faceted murders. He's a man torn by guilt, mental breakdowns, and the need to protect, serve, and provide justice; with his mental stability in question, he's ordered to see a therapist. His therapist of choice is his Aunt Jane. She takes his case with a caveat; he will be referred to someone else if she finds he has a problem.

Using famous literary novels as the theme for the murders, the killer is elusive and smart. In a town full of criminal elements, Preach has a multitude of suspects. Layton included multi-plot lines, twists, and turns, and family dynamics into this highly suspenseful crime drama. He skillfully wove all the plot threads together, while keeping the suspense and mystery at a high peak. The action begins on the first page and continues throughout the story as Preach and his partner delve into the underbelly of Creekville. They find more than they bargained for as they dig into human lives and political arenas. Layton included a twist in Preach's partner; a man who is smart, greedy for success, and notoriety.

Including a romance element into the story added depth to this power-packed drama. Not only is she a romantic interest, but she also helps interpret the scenes literary connections. However, time is running out to the solve murders and save the next victim. Preach finds Ariana and himself in the crosshairs of the criminal element in town. With an ending which left me gasping, I could not believe the identity of the killer. I did not see that coming!

Layton writing's vividly descriptive and flows smoothly from scene to scene. His characters are well-developed and his storyline's fresh and original. I found myself worn to a frazzle as I closed this book, yet, thoroughly satisfied and entertained. Written In Blood is one of the best crime dramas I have read in some time. I could not put this book down. As a result, I suggest you get ready for a long day and night of reading as you delve into the town of Creekville. I would not hesitate to buy this book for myself or a friend.

WRITTEN IN BLOOD RECOMMENDATION: STARS 4

FINALLY, PLEASE NOTE:

Additionally, I received this book from the author and Edelweiss. I chose to voluntarily review the book with honest crime suspense book reviews. Lastly, book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion. Consequently, all book reviews online and on my blog, are my opinions. Also, ARC's do not influences my voluntary crime suspense books review.
Attachments
51aecNhZt1L.jpg
51aecNhZt1L.jpg (51.23 KiB) Viewed 174 times

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”