Official Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Official Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Sarah_Khan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice by Van Fleisher is a fiction novel that is not that far from reality. This book is set in the United States of America and follows the consequences of a new device that can predict the final days of a human's life. In this novel, a group of doctors have created a watch that, by monitoring your health and vital signs 24/7, is able to predict the end of life as long as it is connected to old age or sickness. This watch is based on science and not magic, therefore it can not predict sudden death as in a car accident or murder. With this new watch, people are able to get a “final notice” anywhere from a month to a few days before their time is up. Originally this sounds like a great idea, a device that will allow people to know exactly when they should start preparing themselves for the end. Citizens are now able to fix up their wills, tie any loose ends, and say their goodbyes before it is too late. Unfortunately, when guns are mixed into the equation, we soon find out that not everyone leaves life on a good note. While some people use this notice to give to charity and spend time with their loved ones, others decide to settle scores and take revenge because they know they will not be alive to deal with the consequences.

This novel follows the doctors who invented the device, the people who get their final notice, and in the middle of all that, an elderly couple who, in this increasingly hostile world, are faced with the decision of whether they need a gun for their own safety.

The plot of this book immediately caught my attention because it involved the much disputed topic of gun ownership. I am happy to say that my attention never wavered while reading this novel. The characters are likable and multidimensional. Initially, I was a bit worried about the number of characters with final notices that were being introduced, but that was all for naught since the author kept the character count low so I was able to remember each and every character. The plot was perfectly paced and I appreciated that the author was able to tie up everything quite nicely without making the ending feel rushed. This book also has an element of thrill to it. I kept on turning the pages because I was impatient to see how each character who received a final notice would react. I have to congratulate the author on the ability to surprise me multiple times throughout the story. This novel proves that we never really know people as well as we think we do.

The best thing about this novel is that it leaves you with a lot to think about. I think it is a story that will stay with readers. The debate about gun ownership is ongoing, and this book asks a lot of important questions that we should all be thinking about in our daily lives. Personally, I kept on going back and forth when it came to who should be blamed for the violent reactions of some of the people who receive the final notices. Is it the doctors’ fault for giving the person a reason to harm others? Is it the person’s own responsibility for what they do when they know they are about to die? Or is it the government's fault for making it easier for the average citizen to weaponize themselves? There are many answers to that question, but you have to read the book to see what the author thinks.

I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars. Overall, Final Notice by Van Fleisher was an enjoyable and well-edited read that explores a controversial subject. I would recommend this novel to anyone who is on the fence about owning a gun. If you are pro-gun ownership, I suggest you steer clear of this novel since it is mostly biased towards anti-gun ownership for the average citizen. I also feel that I have to mention that this book does include school shootings, so if you are sensitive to this topic I would recommend you pass on reading this novel.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves

Like Sarah_Khan's review? Post a comment saying so!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Wow! This sounds like an excellent book. Aside from questions of gun ownership, I'd have to seriously ask myself if I'd eve want to know when my time's coming up; on the one hand, it'd be good to have time to prepare, but on the other hand, I think I'd probably spend every moment I have left crying, soooooo...Idk... But thanks for the introduction; I'll def have to get a copy.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

A device that tells me how long I have to live sounds really intriguing. I'm not sure if I want to know, though. But it may be handy at times. What a dilemma! On the other hand, I'm not interested in owning a gun at all, but I'm curious to know how people react when finding out how much time they have left. I'll have to check this book out. Thanks for this interesting review!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This is entirely possible. I think one of Robin Cook's books has the same premise, but the horror element is from a different angle. Would I want to know when my number is coming up? What would I do then? Pray? Cry? Kill?

Thanks for the thoughtful review, Sarah_Khan!
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

What a beautiful review. Thank you for writing this. This book is going on my shelf. :D
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
Njengnjoro
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Njengnjoro »

I like this science fiction story with something different to offer. Good job analysing it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! That definitely is more like science fact than science fiction. I could see that coming with all the fit bits and everything that are out there. I'm interested in seeing where the author takes this! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Pknjo
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by Pknjo »

I've always loved sci-fi genre, good work with the review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I'm intrigued. I didn't see that coming. It is mind-blowing what people will do with their time if they knew that they only had a few hours to live.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

I wasn't expecting what I just read. it was very interesting. thank you for the review I'm sure to read this book soon.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

The premise of this books seems quite interesting. The idea of revenge when you know your time is going to be up...Unintended consequences of scientific advancement has been an issue ever since humans began inventing, and this is an intriguing angle to that topic.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Quite intriguing gadget. However, I think the worry it will bring will outweigh its usefulness. I enjoyed reading your review.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Wow. that is a must-read book for me! It sounds suspenseful... I am sure if I were to watch the film version of it, I would keep to the edge of my sit. Thanks for the review.
Supa
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Supa »

Nice book
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

The death foretelling device is a really intriguing topic. Nice review! Definitely going to read this one.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”