Official Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quithilion
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quithilion.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: Official Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Quithilion »

I think this is an incredible piece of technology. I'm on the fence about whether or not it is a good thing. Yes it seems to be a great way to be ready for the end, but I think I'd prefer it was a surprise. That being said I'd love to read more of this book.
Claire3001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Claire3001 »

This sounds very intriguing; the concept of what would people do if they knew how long they had to live has been done before, bit integrating it with a debate about gun-ownership sounds fascinating. This review makes me want to read the book discover how well the author deals with the overarching storyline of the elderly couple alongside each characters’ reactions to their impending death. I usually steer clear of overly technical ‘sci-fi’, but it sounds like this focuses primarily on the human reaction to new technology and the psychological fall-out, so I’d be keen to read it.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I understand your point about the topics being a little sensitive. I'm glad that you enjoyed reading the book though
SLD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SLD »

This book is on my Book shelf as a book I want to read; it really looked interesting to me when I first read about it. But now that I've read this review, and the warning to pro gun readers, I'm wondering if it would be a waste of time. Even though I don't personally own a gun at this time (many of my friends and family members do), I am a supporter of the 2nd amendment and the right of citizens to own guns. Am disappointed.
Philippians 4:8
SJSharks
Currently Reading: Unshaken
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by SJSharks »

I read the sample and was on the fence with this book. The official review has me thinking that maybe I need to give this book a better try and pursue it further. The first few chapters didn't grab me, but the device wasn't mentioned early on. Just a reference to a sport watch. Overall, a good review that wants me to give this book a bigger chance.
Amecha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Amecha »

it sounds so interesting, the book prepares someone that on a certain steps he or she will be nomore,somebody is able to prepare his or her children by giving them goodwill, advice on how to live but on the other side when the time is near people will be sad because they are a ware they are going to loose somebody
Sunbliss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Sunbliss »

The reviewer captures the intent and plot outline of this story very well, defining clearly for readers what to expect. She makes the book sound interesting and highlights its topical nature, bringing its relevance potentially to a wider audience. She focusses on the important topics it raises and is generous about the author’s skill in bringing the story to life.
kibunja
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kibunja »

Final notice bring a very different twist of dilemma about death,life,and choices we make....its so captivating by just reading the review i am sure am gonna read it i personal y don't want to know when ill die but if the device is there am gonna own it and am sure as hell gonna be depressed when i find out am gonna die in a months time....thanks for the review
vanessaonelove
Currently Reading: A Return to Love
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaonelove.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B013EX0QM6

Post by vanessaonelove »

Just read the sample of Final Notice! Wow! Fantastic character-driven introduction to the story. Getting into Vincent's mind as an 'old' person is a work of art. I really feel not only for Vincent but all elderly people from getting this insight into aging and the responses of society to the process. Adding the Stan Mason perspective is brilliant. He is almost Vincent's alter ego showing us the darker spaces that older people can go as theu are confronted with the aging process. Can't wait to read the whole book.
Mwanyalo
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanyalo.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mwanyalo »

this book leaves the average citizen with an ongoing debate revolving around their heads. Actually, gun ownership taken into a wider perspective, according to the book, is not supposed to be rated to be 'a super power' in most lives of people,but instead everyone who knows he/she is a good citizen, has a right to life.
voneldelvon
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by voneldelvon »

Great book. I won't miss to read this.
Dammylove9790
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dammylove9790 »

Wow! This sounds like an excellent book. Aside from questions of gun ownership, I'd have to seriously ask myself if I'd eve want to know when my time's coming up; on the one hand, it'd be good to have time to prepare, but on the other hand, I think I'd probably spend every moment I have left crying, soooooo...Idk... But thanks for the introduction; I'll def have to get a copy.
Scarlet wamuyu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-wamuyu.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Scarlet wamuyu »

Wow! Great review I would be love to learn more about how those watches worked to tell that the end is near and different reactions of characters involved.
Am not sure whether I would like to know my last days anyway
Left me eager to know more about the book I must read it soon.
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

So far, this book has been fantastic. I am very impressed with how Fleisher has been able to portray a number of relevant themes in our current society without taking a "political side." He leaves it up to the reader, which is appreciated.
Jesuseddiea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Jesuseddiea »

I enjoyed this book. I love reading books where I can actually picture what is going on. Just like a movie in my head. Sounds like it would make a great movie on Syfy.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”