Official Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Re: Official Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by starshipsaga »

This sounds like the kind of chilling detective story I've been looking for. It's always disappointing to not have the ending you want, but weirdly, your description of the conclusion has actually gotten me more intrigued. I grabbed a copy, hope I'll have good luck with it!
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

Planting false memories through hypnosis? Very interesting method of trying to escape murder charges. Unfortunately, even without the reviewer’s stated disappointment with the ending, I don’t think this crime novel is for me.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I'm not really a big fan of thrillers, but I think I might like this book. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Dr. Andrews has been suffering from terrible headaches for quite some time, and he uses murder to assuage his pain. Afraid he'll get caught, he uses hypnosis to plant memories in his patient's mind so the hapless professor, Jon, will think he committed the murders. Will Police Chief Grady Noland figure out the dastardly doctor's plan before he can kill yet again? Will Jon realize that he's remembering things he never actually did? Will Dr. Andrews get help for his headaches before it's too late? You'll need to read Murder in Memory to find out.
Using murder to assuage his terrible headache is a strange thing. Does he kill randomly, even the innocent people?
jedreid
Currently Reading: Going Gone
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jedreid.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by jedreid »

i was a little put out with the ending and might end up disappointed as well but i'm intrigued enough to still give it a try. good job on the review!
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

It seems like my kind of story. I love psychological thrillers and crime novels, so this might be the perfect book for me. I'll definitely check it out. Thank you for the review.
LyndaR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LyndaR »

I read the sample and amdownloading it immediately as I can’t wait to finish it! Although I dislike the grisly murder descriptions, it does show that the author is good at painting a picture of the perpetrator’s mind as he commits these crimes. I was disappointed in this review as I don’t think the perp should’ve been revealed, kind of spoils the effect, but at the same time, it’s such a well written story that I’m eager to find out how it all comes about!
Fati-bola
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fati-bola.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Fati-bola »

This is an honest to God review and I like it. I'm a little taken aback though by the fact that the culprit of the murders was revealed early in the story. Anyway, like the reviewer said, I may yet enjoy the ending the way it is. Kudos to the reviewer, I'll still go ahead and read the book.
Rheetah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rheetah.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Rheetah »

It would be very interesting to actually know the killer and read how the police is trying to find him.This review is amazing,it makes me think of how people may seem selfish yet it may be a disorder,in the case of Dr Andrews.
Vendlyss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vendlyss.html
Latest Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by Vendlyss »

For some reason, I kept hearing the voice of Don LaFontaine (the Godfather of movie trailer voice overs) during your intro. 😂 I'm intrigued by this book. I have to say that I can empathize with you on feeling unfulfilled by a book with an anti-climactic ending. I feel sometimes authors dissuade themselves from writing an ending that comes to a close naturally, because it may feel too cliched, but at the flip-side, it comes off as somewhat less than authentic. I still prefer that though than having a shocking ending that had no build up whatsoever. I'll have to give it a try.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! I liked your play on the Hippocratic oath. I'm disappointed that the end of the book was a letdown, but your review made the rest of the book sound very interesting!
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

I really enjoy crime and thriller books and this sounds like a great spin on the usual form. Planting memories into someone elses memory is a terrible way to destroy someone's mental health. Will definitely put on to read list.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Thanks for the great review, this doesn't sound like my kind of book, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Although I do like stories that unfold in a small town.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Having fake memories implanted into your head sounds scary... the fact that this book does reveal the killer so early on makes it seem like it would be different than other books in this genre. Too bad about the ending though. Great review!
goldenwings1+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by goldenwings1+ »

I enjoyed reading the sample and thanks for the good review except for revealing the murderer. I am intrigued by mysteries. I don't think knowing who the murderer is ruins the books experience. Old TV murder mysteries sometimes do that. Sorry the ending isn't great. I am still interested in reading the book though because the author writes in a way to keep you interested.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”