Official Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Re: Official Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

O M G ! ! I can't believe I'm enjoying this fast pace, murder mystery, thus far! In spite of what's stated within this review, there are a few turn-off spoilers; especially, regarding the ending (nothing left to be desired). However, I’m yet, intrigued to finish reading "Murder in Memory" in the near future and hope to rate it 4/4 stars. Oh, not to mention, the plot is somewhat similar to a NBC "Bull" episode, I watched not too long ago. Best wishes to the author on the #BOTD 🧐
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Thanks for your review and explanation of why you revealed the villain and why that was not a spoiler. I've read the first few chapters of the book and so far it moves along very well and is keeping my interest.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Emili
Favorite Author: Laura Thalassa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emili.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 11335

Post by Emili »

Wow what an interesting tale. I’m a weirdo who actually likes spoilers so I don’t really mind the beginning. However, the ending is a bit of a turn off. I might still try this book though. Thank you for your review.
ALYoung
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyoung.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials by B. Truly

Post by ALYoung »

I am hit or miss when it comes to crime novels. I read your review as well as the sample and this one seems like an interesting read. I'm hoping to be able to actually enjoy this book one day. That being said, I am a little nervous. I get super frustrated when books are anticlimactic, especially when I get hyped up. I love books that really pull you in to the story, making you feel sympathy or even empathy with the characters. I'll be interested to see how wrapped up in the story you can get.
Bnall
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Bnall »

Thanks for the honest review! Knowing who did it in the beginning, quite the twist. Based on the ending let down, I think I’ll pass on this one right now!
slori0488
Currently Reading: The Practice House
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slori0488.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by slori0488 »

The idea of fake memories reminds me of The Manchurian Candidate. (It also reminds me of certain people in politics. :lol2: ) I like the small town atmosphere as well. Growing up in a small town, there was always some sort of secret or scandal going on. As unethical as it is, I like the fact that the author chose the local psych doctor to be the villain. Other than a minister or priest, who else outside of the family would know the townspeople so well that they could manipulate their minds? I think it's a brilliant choice by the author. I look forward to reading Murder in Memory.
Mile Hi Eyes 6361
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mile Hi Eyes 6361 »

Since I do love a good mystery, I was interested in your review, especially after reading the sample pages. You have given me a reason to read the entire book and watch for more books by this author. Thank you.
reesa_samoa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reesa-samoa.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by reesa_samoa »

I read the sample of this book and I love mystery and suspense. The sample was very intriguing and I wanted to read further but when I read your review and you stated that the author revealed the killer early on, I was disappointed as I like it when the "bad guy" is revealed at the end because I'd like to see if, from all the clues, I can solve the mystery of "whodunnit" and checking to see if my guess is in line with the author. But, when you stated that there are many different plots, it made me think twice about not reading the rest of the book. Then when you stated that the end didn't have the climax you expected, I lost my desire to read the book. Now if a sample and a review give me mixed emotions, I think I need to read it....lol.

Thanks for the review.
michelekathryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelekathryn.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by michelekathryn »

An excellent review! I've only read a sample of the book but I definitely agree with your point about feeling sympathy for Dr. Andrews. There's a particular moment in the beginning of Murder in Memory which focuses on the near constant pain Dr. Andrews experiences and despite my disgust at his violent acts, Thorne still managed to elicit a sympathetic reaction from me. I couldn't imagine dealing with that amount of physical pain and disturbing thoughts on a daily basis. While it doesn't excuse his actions, it does make Mr. Andrews more approachable as a character.

I'm disappointed to hear that the ending to this story falls short, as Thorne has created an intriguing premise. I think I'll pass on reading the whole novel at this point, but thank you for taking the time to outline your thoughts!
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

The sample was interesting but I wasn't planning on reading the book. A good finish is important to me, your review only reinforces my decision. Thank you for your review.
Hippie-1423
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Hippie-1423 »

His writing facinated me. I couldn't fathum the idea of fake memories until I read this intriguing story!
Edgeona
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgeona.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Edgeona »

A crime story. This is an interesting novel with suspense. Looking forward to review this book.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I really enjoyed your review as it really helped me understand this novel better after reading only the sample. I do like crime novels even though it's not my favorite genre. This seems very intriguing with hypnosis and planting fake memories of murder. It is a bold move to reveal the killer so quickly and I'm glad that you said that it didn't ruin the story. It's interesting that you said that you felt bad for the bad guy in the novel. That's a huge plus when readers are made to care even for the villains. I was disappointed to hear however that the ending was so underwhelming. I hate to read what seems like a great story only for it to get ruined by a horrible ending. I'm glad that it didn't ruin the whole story for you and that it was still a great book over all. Thanks for the excellent review.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Loved your review. It seems as if it could be a good read.. interested in the fake memory bit..
Chill01
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chill01.html
Latest Review: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker by Thomas Hill

Post by Chill01 »

Thank you for this well-written review of Murder in Memory. I like the idea of a book that indicates who did it at the beginning and still keeps you wanting to read the book. I am not generally a fan of murder mysteries but I put it on my want to read list as it sounds like a new approach.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”