Official Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Re: Official Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I like crime novels and the thought of knowing the killer early doesn't change my mind. However, this sounds more psychological and medical than it does criminal. That might change things a bit. I'll put it on my list of potential books but I'll also need to research it more.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks for your review. This seems like a really well written crime novel. It’s too bad that the ending is disappointing though.
peace starts with a smile...
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I'm looking forward to reading today's BOTD, and as crazy as it may sound, I like knowing "whodunit" already because it allows me to focus in on other areas, like motive and strategy, rather than on traditional clues that lead to the killer. Despite the ending, this sounds like an engaging read! Thank you for your review! :-)
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

From your review this sounds like a good crime novel. I agree it is harder to keep the suspense when you know the culprit early on. Goad to hear the author did a good job.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

After reading your review, I'm intrigued to this book. Thank you for your entertaining review and yet informative.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Lysander99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lysander99.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lysander99 »

Thanks for the honest review it was nice to read the outline of the book without you giving too much away. From what i have read you wrote about Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne the book was a great take on the Thriller genre. The description you gave of how the Villain is revealed early on and how this enhances the plot of the book is nice to know as sometimes it is great to see things from both perspectives.

However your review that the ending was less than satisfactory for you leaves me to think that i would not read this book. This is simply because in books of this genre i like a satisfactory ending as i like to see my Villains meet their demise in a satisfactory manner given the heinous nature of their crimes.

Thanks for the review and look forward to reading more of your work.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Great review. Thanks for the heads up about the ending. I can understand your frustration with it and why you would drop one star.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

Wow! Just...wow! Color me intrigued! I'm totally onboard with this book! I'm curious and I want to know more! Thanks for the engaging review!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have just read the sample and was enthralled, though I have yet to discover the good doctor's horrible secret. Clever title and cover-up. I'm willing to risk the disappointment at the end for the thrill of the ride.

Thanks for another memorable review, MsTri! That hypocritic oath hits the jugular.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I have read the sample for this book, and that paired with your review has definitely caught my attention. The beginning was a bit dark and graphic, but I hope that I can give it a try.
NeonKay
Favorite Book: Guradian of Deceit
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neonkay.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by NeonKay »

Excellent review. I feel bad that the author wasn't able to meet your expectation about the climax. I wished he was able to recognize it because the plot is really interesting especially in the thought of how did Dr. Andrews influence the memory of the innocent professor, Dr. Evans and made it penetrate to the mind and conscience of the poor patient. I have read similar plots like this and they are actually having an incredible story. I would like to personally know how the story goes on this one. :)
There's nothing else more exciting than making a rough place your comfort zone. :wink: --kc fernandez
cim-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cim.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by cim- »

It's interesting that the book starts out saying whom the killer is right away. It sounds like he is trying to get other people to take the blame so he can get away with it. I wonder what the headaches have to do with his killing, I guess I will have to read the book to find out.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

Reading the 'Official Review: Murder in Memory', by Mike Thorne, was like taking a refreshing look into the book.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

I’ve so far read five chapters in the sample and am somewhat disappointed by the spoilers, including the murderer and even who the Chief is having an affair with. I prefer a few ‘surprises’ or discoveries while reading, particularly now knowing in advance there is an anti-climactic ending. It feels like there’s not much point completing the book after the review.

I did not like the crime, either, and was almost ready to close the book at that stage. While some may consider this merely personal squeamishness, it is not that, so much as it is more violence against women. I’m glad to hear of the implanted memories as that adds originality, because until the reader is aware of that, the story has seemed somewhat formulaic.

It is very well-written and I can readily imagine the events and world in which they occur.
tfrancois06
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00ZV9PXP2

Post by tfrancois06 »

I don’t think I’ve yet to read a book where the culprit was named at the beginning. I think the last murder mystery book I read was “Sharp Objects” by Gillian Flynn and honestly that book made me uncomfortable to read because of the odd personality of the mother.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”